Outlook IMAP Transfer (Whitts Enbd) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I been moving my clients from one hosting company to a new larger one, all the pop account have gone smoothly but there IMAP account are causing me a real problem to point it making me ill.

I did ask the hosting company too backup all data the night before I did the transfer, so as long as they done that at least I can go back, only problem is you in their control.

Ok so what I did, I have one client who has his IMAP setup with sub-folders, I moved the nameserver to my new hosting and setup all the email accounts, so all good to go. I changed his outlook account to look at the new hosting company and then I setup a new account using the IP address of the old company so now I have an IMAP at the top with new company empty and his old one showing below with all the folders.

I then logged onto webmail into his account "Squirrel Mail" and there were all the same folders, now I have known in the past that I cannot drag and drop from outlook account to account, so what I did is go to the first was move all his inbox email from old account to new account, all look good the emails were there in the new one, I then went to the first sub-folder on webmail and moved all the email in to inbox, I then dragged the sub-folder in old outlook account to the new account and then syncroniced outlook so all the emaiul appeared in the inbox, I then dragged all email from inbox in to the sub-folder in the new account, slow but it look right files were there, 6 hours later I had a complete new outlook account with the new hosting company. I then noticed that it had received no new email, so I shutdown outlook and restarted only to see all the sub folders disappear, so now they’re not on the old host or the new host. I'm at a loss, in a panic and totally fed-up. anyone know why this has gone wrong? anyone know how I can find all the email that I spent 6 hours moving? I have email the new hosting company to look for the email and the old hosting company to ask for the backup to be restored "nothing back yet"

• Edited by Xircom Saturday, October 1, 2016 6:43 AM
    Saturday, October 1, 2016 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you checked the OST file associated with the new IMAP account in Outlook? How large is the data file? If the file size of the data file is too small, the emails could be lost. If the data file size is ok, please check if there is any filter applied to the folders so that all emails are hidden.

In addition, please also check if the user has the email account set up as POP account on any other devices. POP account downloads all email from the server and remove the original emails from the server.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, October 10, 2016 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, October 11, 2016 10:05 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 6:55 AM