MDT Deployment hangs on Preparing disk 0 (AHCI mode related?) RRS feed

• Question

• I currently deploy Windows 7 x64 to a variety of different systems using MDT 2012.  All systems that I have in my inventory use intel processors with the exception of one particular HP Laptop.  On all Intel models, if I do not change the SATA mode from AHCI to compatibility/IDE the MDT imaging process hangs up at "Preparing disk 0 partitions"  I have verified that all required storage drivers are present.  Are there any settings or changes that I can make to get around this issue?  Thanks.

-Joe G

• Edited by Joe Gun Sunday, December 6, 2015 4:23 PM
    Sunday, December 6, 2015 4:18 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue with MDT 2013 and on Dells.  Any updates? 
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Look at the format and partition steps in your task sequence.  UEFI does work with the default steps.  It also works with some custom formatting steps.  What does your TS look like?

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, March 4, 2016 1:44 PM
  • I was having the same problem. After I had upgraded to MDT2013 the problem reappeared. It had been working without problems before. During the upgrade process I removed a lot of old drivers and all things related to XP. Might as well clean house, right. That's when the IDE/AHCI issue appeared on the HP 6300 PCs, everything else works without issue. Verified all NIC and mass storage drivers for Win 7, all there. I imported the Win XP storage driver back into the OOB drivers section and updated the boot WIM. I have tested on multiple HP PCs and no problems.  AHCI is turned on in BIOS. EUFI BIOS is not an issue on this model.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:28 PM
  • You do have to create new Task Sequences.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:15 AM