none
MS Project 2013 Task Duration Issues After Assigning Resources RRS feed

• Question

• Have for example a task (among many) of 4 days duration - when no resources are assigned the Duration display ok @ 4 days

When I assign resources to it and level the resources it extends the Duration significantly to 65 days displaying the task bar correctly at 4 days but has a "Trailing Dotted Line" following on to the end of the 65 days..... and also shows the Finish Date at the end of the 65 days,
    When I look at the resource "Task Usage Sheet" is shows the resources against the 4 days only.   Also the resource graph shows the resources allocated to only the four days.

I want the task duration to show only the 4 days and the four days difference between the displayed Start and Finish dates.

Note : It makes no difference if I have turned off or on "Leveling Can Adjust Individual Assignments On A Task", "Leveling Can Create Splits In Remaining Work" .  It makes no difference if I change the tasks to "Effort Driven". Note also : the dotted line I have identified as a "Split" task from the "Bar Styles" screen . Would appreciate any insight into how I can show the Duration at 4 Days with the  corresponding correct dates.  

Tried to include a screen shot but a new user and my account not verified yet.  Thank you.

I found a solution ~ 18 Hrs after posting the above - I changed the problem tasks to a "Task Type" of "Fixed Units" rather than "Fixed Duration" and problem gone.  I do not however understand why this is so - maybe somebody clever can advise me.
    • Edited by johnmagu Monday, May 29, 2017 4:30 AM
    Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:09 AM

All replies