Cant do full restore from Windows Server Backup Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I was testing my DR plan the other day. I simulated a disk failure by unplugging my primary drive. I then put in another hard drive of a bigger capacity in my server and tried to do a restore. I booted from Server 2008 and initiated the restore, It picked up my backup drive and selected the most recent one. However it failed to restore with the error

"There is not enough disk space on the system to perform the restore operation. Add another disk or replace one of the existing disks and try the restore operation. (0X80042408)"

I tried another disk the same as size as my primary and I got the same error message. I tried formatting the disks before trying the restore operation but I got the same error. I also tried to mess around with Diskpart.exe but nothing worked. I was shaken to the core but I was also relieved that it was a simulation not the real thing.

What could be the issue.
    • Moved by David Shen Thursday, November 5, 2009 8:31 AM (From:File Services and Storage)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    Some of the reasons could be:
    1) The backup contained critical partitions from more than one disk. During recovery: All the criticals disks size should be equal or more than the backup time critical disks.
    E.g: System partition and Boot partition on separate disks. An application has converted a volume as critical on a different disk.

2) The new disk is not getting recognized as the Boot disk. Please check in the BIOS menu that the new disk is the first disk in BOOT order.
    3)  OS can only be recovered to an Internal Boot disk of higher/equal size. If any USB disk is attached to the machine, please detach it while booting into WinRE and then reattach before recovery. (In some BIOS, the USB disk gets incorrectly assigned as Boot disk and recovery fails due to this).

4) Is there any RAID setup where the disks are not getting recognized in Windows Recovery Env. Please try: Diskpart.exe, list disk to check that all the disks are visible in WinRE. If required, Install disk driver using drvload.exe <driver-inf-path>

5) Try recovery from Cmd prompt:
       wbadmin get versions -backputarget:<backup-drive:>
       wbadmin start sysrecovery -recreatedisks -restoreallvolumes -version:<version-id> -backuptarget:<backup-drive:>
       (-excludedisks:<diskid> optional)

Need the following info:
    1) How many disks were attached during backup ?
    2) How many volumes were involved in the backup and they all were on single disk or multiple disks ?
    3) output of diskpart.exe, list disk before attempting recovery.
    4) Please send the following file to me: <backup-drive:>\WindowsImageBackup\<machine-name>\<backup-time-stamp>\*components*.xml
        Email: vikas.ranjan_at_the rate_microsoft.com (please fix the email id to the correct syntax)

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]
    ------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hi,
    Some of the reasons could be:
    1) The backup contained critical partitions from more than one disk. During recovery: All the criticals disks size should be equal or more than the backup time critical disks.
    E.g: System partition and Boot partition on separate disks. An application has converted a volume as critical on a different disk.

The original disk is 250GB with two partions; a C Drive and a D Drive. The disk I was trying to restore to is a 1TB Disk

2) The new disk is not getting recognized as the Boot disk. Please check in the BIOS menu that the new disk is the first disk in BOOT order.

I checked this and it was the only disk in the pc.

3)  OS can only be recovered to an Internal Boot disk of higher/equal size. If any USB disk is attached to the machine, please detach it while booting into WinRE and then reattach before recovery. (In some BIOS, the USB disk gets incorrectly assigned as Boot disk and recovery fails due to this).

Internal sata Drive 1TB

4) Is there any RAID setup where the disks are not getting recognized in Windows Recovery Env. Please try: Diskpart.exe, list disk to check that all the disks are visible in WinRE. If required, Install disk driver using drvload.exe <driver-inf-path>

Prior to the simulation I had software raid 1 configured and it was healthy and fully synced.

5) Try recovery from Cmd prompt:
       wbadmin get versions -backputarget:<backup-drive:>
       wbadmin start sysrecovery -recreatedisks -restoreallvolumes -version:<version-id> -backuptarget:<backup-drive:>
       (-excludedisks:<diskid> optional)

I did not try this. I was however able to view available backups on my internal backup drive after booting from the install CD and chose the one I wanted. Its later on that it was complaining about the disk. I could try this if you think the command line will give different results.

Need the following info:
    1) How many disks were attached during backup ?

One Primary with two partitions C & D and one Mirror drive

2) How many volumes were involved in the backup and they all were on single disk or multiple disks ?

By volumes I assume you mean partitions. One 250GB Drive with two partitions C & D

3) output of diskpart.exe, list disk before attempting recovery.

I took a picture on my iphone I will send it to your email add.

4) Please send the following file to me: <backup-drive:>\WindowsImageBackup\<machine-name>\<backup-time-stamp>\*components*.xml

I dont have access to this at the moment.

Email: vikas.ranjan_at_the rate_microsoft.com (please fix the email id to the correct syntax)
    Friday, November 6, 2009 1:50 PM
  • Hi,
    If everything is fine as per your last reply, then we need the logs to debug any issue.
    Please try the Recovery from Cmd line tool:wbadmin.exe and Complete PC Restore.
    Send me the xml file mentioned in my previous reply and the logs stored at @ x:\windows\Logs\*. You may copy the logs to some other drive so that they are not lost during system reboot.
    Either zip them and mail to me or store them on skydrive (http://skydrive.live.com) .

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]
    ------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Hi,
    Please check the following thread for more info regarding the Windows Bare metal recovery process:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/11d8c552-a841-49ac-ab2e-445e6f95e704

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]
    Monday, November 9, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.

This is a client's server and I should be having another stab at it this wknd. I let you know what comes out of it.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:18 AM
  • The correct link for above reply is:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/9a082b90-bd7c-46f8-9eb3-9581f9d5efdd

Thanks,
    Vikas Ranjan [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:54 PM