none
Windows biometric Framework for domain users RRS feed

• Question

• We are biometric device product manufacture company.

Currently we are implementing windows biometric login using fingerprint. our target Os wil be windows 7 onwards.

Our biometric device does not have inbuilt storage or peocessing capability.

We are implementing WBDI driver to make use of windows biometric framework.

We are planing to extend windows biometric login for domain users as well.

can someone help me to solve my below queries ?

1. is it possible that we can do enrollment on client machine using domain account and allow the user to login to any Windows client on the domain using their fingerprint ?
    2. Where fingerprint database is stored for domain user ? is it somewhere in local PC or in Active directory ? 
    3. If fingerprint database is stored in local pc , then is it possible to store this data in Active directory from WBDI driver by writing custom storage Adapter ?
    Thursday, May 7, 2020 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

As Windows 7 is out of support since Jan.14 2020, we are not support for Windows 7 any more. 

As I know, Windows 8 and Windows 10 stores user biometric credential on local device rather than server side to avoid the creation of a remotely accessible and breachable credential repository. Also there is no official measure could migrate it to server location in domain environment. However, I did not find any official article about this, if you prefer to have a further knowledge, we could monitor the biometric stored location on Windows 8 with process monitor.

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Monday, May 11, 2020 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

Here is the description by Microsoft official article for biometric data stored location:

So, it is not available to change the stored location to AD, if we want to use it on other domain joined client, we need to register the biometric device again.

For more information, please refer to:Windows Hello biometrics in the enterprise

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Friday, May 8, 2020 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Windows Hello is supported for win10 onwards.

We are targeting windows 7 and windows 8 also. 

It will be very helpfull to me if you can clarify this to me. 

is it available to change the stored location to AD for windows 7 and windows 8 ?

Friday, May 8, 2020 3:55 AM
  • Hi, 

As Windows 7 is out of support since Jan.14 2020, we are not support for Windows 7 any more. 

As I know, Windows 8 and Windows 10 stores user biometric credential on local device rather than server side to avoid the creation of a remotely accessible and breachable credential repository. Also there is no official measure could migrate it to server location in domain environment. However, I did not find any official article about this, if you prefer to have a further knowledge, we could monitor the biometric stored location on Windows 8 with process monitor.

Bests, 

Monday, May 11, 2020 8:08 AM