none
Enabling Storage Spaces Direct - error code: 50

Question

• Hi all,

I use Windows Server version 1803.

I create nested S2D PoC on Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V.

I can not "Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect –CimSession <ClusterName>"

Does anyone encounter the same error?

Sunday, May 27, 2018 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For now, I couldn't find more information about error code 50 related enabling S2D.

Before you enable s2d, could you please run cluster validation tests?

Anything wrong in the validation report?

Please check if the hardware meet the requirements. All servers must be identical in hardware components, drivers, firmware, and configuration.

Maybe also refer to the thread discussed before.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/a18c94be-25b5-4241-ab74-47738da70d9a/enableclusters2d-failed-to-set-faultdomainawaressdefault-on-storage-subsystem?forum=winserverClustering

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Hi, I have the same here. as all the "nodes" are Hyper-V-VM's they should meet the requirements.

I've tested to build a S2D-Cluster with Server 2016 and all Patches -> Success

I've Evicted, reinstalled with Server 2016 Version 1803 and added to the Cluster all nodes one by one -> Success

I've updated the ClusterFunctionLevel to "10" on the Cluster

ANY ...-ClusterS2D cmdlet is not working with the same error "50", tested with Get-ClusterS2D and Disable-ClusterS2D

Looks like there where some structures changed but changes are missing in the powershell cmdlet's.

It would be nice to try out the great new S2D features of Server 2016 Version 1803.

Thanks a lot for fixing.

Sven

### Update ###

I've done the same again (create a 2016 Cluster with ClusterFunctionLevel 9; evict, reinstall 2016-1803, join each node one by one).

As long as i don't upgrade the ClusterFunctionLevel to 10, I'm able to join an original 2016 node to the cluster and run Get-ClusterS2D on that Node.

On all of the 2016-1803 nodes non of the ...-ClusterS2D cmdlets are working, all exit with this "error 50"

Cheers, Sven

• Edited by SvenRuben Sunday, June 3, 2018 5:12 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

Can confirm this issue myself, and have run into the exact same situation.

No s2d commandlets will run on a cluster created with build 1803 at this stage, with all available updates installed.

Always get the same (following) result:

Failed to run CIM method GetStorageSpacesDirect on the root/MSCLUSTER/MSCluster_StorageSpacesDirect CIM object.  The CIM method returned the following error code: 50

To reproduce:

Configure a 2 node cluster with build 1803, attempt to run s2d commandlets, like "get-clusters2d"

Cheers

Adrian

Friday, June 15, 2018 1:13 AM
  • Just wanted to add in:
    We experience the same issue with a newly installed windows 1803 cluster.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 3:23 PM
  • We used our installation process for both Windows Server 2016 1607 and 1803 version and we have same troubles like you.
    All report cluster (Test-Cluster) pass successfully.

Friday, June 22, 2018 1:33 PM
  • Thank you for this. I can add that I am suffering the same fate. I have built a 1803 cluster, all good, gone to run Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect and getting returned this error. Same with Get-ClusterS2D etc.
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:19 PM
  • I fully confirm, the successful passing of the cluster test and the same error 50.

Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect –CimSession ClusterW1803patch07 -WhatIf
    Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect : ClusterW1803patch07: Failed to run CIM method EnableStorageSpacesDirect on the root/MSCLUSTER/MSCluster_StorageSpacesDirect CIM object.  The CIM method retur
    ned the following error code: 50
    At line:1 char:1
    + Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect –CimSession GERON -WhatIf
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (MSCluster_StorageSpacesDirect:String) [Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect], CimJobException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CimJob_EnableStorageSpacesDirect_50,Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect
        + PSComputerName        : ClusterW1803patch07

Thursday, July 12, 2018 11:30 AM
  • I think this answer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/server-1709-relnotes

torage Spaces Direct is not included in Windows Server, version 1709. If you call Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect or its alias Enable-ClusterS2D, on a server running Windows Server, version 1709, you will receive an error with the message "The requested operation is not supported".

and below in the text....

Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:59 PM
  • Hello Semen, I read your article and it is regarding version 1709 and not version 1803 that we are discussing.  Good find however.

Having the same issue with Server 1803.  Fresh install of Datacenter on a 2 node solution.

Followed Guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/deploy-storage-spaces-direct

Validation tests pass successfully. 

Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect : Failed to run CIM method EnableStorageSpacesDirect on the
    root/MSCLUSTER/MSCluster_StorageSpacesDirect CIM object.  The CIM method returned the following error code: 50
    At line:1 char:1
    + Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (MSCluster_StorageSpacesDirect:String) [Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDi
       rect], CimJobException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CimJob_EnableStorageSpacesDirect_50,Enable-ClusterStorageSpacesDirect

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:16 PM
  • Hello Sven,

Is everything working for you?

Would you be able to explain your workaround / changing the ClusterFunctionLevel a little bit more.

Much appreciated!

Cheers!

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:17 PM
  • Hello Sven,

Is this solution still working for you?

Could you provide a few more steps on how you changed the ClusterFunction Level?

I really appreciate your help with this one as it's stumping me.

Cheers!

Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:26 PM
  • I was able to do this in build 1607 without an issue, but not in 1803. Just like everyone else, my test cluster results were clean.

I created a post here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/69027d85-2941-46c6-a0c9-8a8b4a01e76f/is-storage-spaces-direct-s2d-supported-in-1803?forum=ws2016

Can anyone provide direction?!?

Friday, July 20, 2018 6:35 PM
  • S2D is not available in build 1803

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/server-1803-release-notes

Software-defined datacenter

Software-defined datacenter features like Storage Spaces Direct, software-defined networking, and shielded virtual machines aren’t included in Windows Server, version 1803. As described in Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel update, the Semi-Annual Channel of Windows Server is focused on containers and application scenarios that benefit from faster innovation.

If you need infrastructure roles, use a Long-Term Servicing Channel release: Windows Server 2016 (available now) or Windows Server 2019 (coming later this year).

We're committed to building the best platform for hyper-converged infrastructure, and we continue to develop new features and improve existing ones based on your feedback. Thank you for helping us get to 10,000+ clusters of Storage Spaces Direct! We look forward to sharing more later this year.

Monday, July 23, 2018 2:54 PM