none
Automatically Shut down PC if idle for 1 Hour after 7.00pm

Question

• Hi All,

How if I want to set at GPO to control all PC automatically shut down if idle for 1 hour after 7 pm?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:23 AM

All replies

• > How if I want to set at GPO to control all PC automatically shut down if
    > idle for 1 hour after 7 pm?

Not with GPO, but with scheduled task. The challenge is "how do you
    determine idle?" :-)

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:37 AM
  • Hi Martin,

My idea now is set at Computer Configuration - Preferences - Control Panel Settings - Scheduled tasks - Scheduled task.

But I dont have idea to set command shutdown PC if idle 1 hour after 7 pm.

Are have any idea?

Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:20 AM
  • > But I dont have idea to set command shutdown PC if idle 1 hour after 7 pm.

Command: "ping -n 3600 127.0.0.1>nul & shutdown -s"
    Trigger: "Computer is idle"
    "Not before" and "not after" according to your needs. Go fiddle around
    with task settings :-)

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:01 AM
  • Hi Martin, Thanks for your info. May I know what is meaning for 127.0.0.1>nul? Thanks.
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:12 AM
  • > Hi Martin, Thanks for your info. May I know what is meaning for
    > 127.0.0.1>nul? Thanks.

127.0.0.1 = Loopback interface.
     >nul = "Suppress screen output".

Each ping takes 1 second, -n 3600 will run 1 hour. Easiest way in
    Windows to sleep some time...

Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 3, 2016 4:48 AM
  • Hi Wendy, I am still not found the solution below task. I am stil R&D. Are have any method to control with GPO with set task scheduler? Regards, Mr Aimin
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:52 AM
  • Hi,
    Have you tried Martin’s suggestion? And did any error returned? If you have any questions, please let us know then.

Regarding to configure a scheduled task item, you could refer to the detail step from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725745%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Tuesday, October 11, 2016 7:14 AM
  • Hi Martin,

I set the policy under Computer Configuration - Preferences - Control Panel Settings - Scheduled tasks - Scheduled task and push shutdown at 7PM and is working, but when I set idle for 15 minutes for example is not working.

I set 15 minutes at Start the task only if the computer is idle for and set Do Not Wait at Wait for idle option, but still not working.

Can help to assist.

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:33 AM