none
Beware if you use Avast 2015: System Gets Borked After Optional Update KB3000850 RRS feed

• Question

• I did controlled testing with Windows 8.1 x64 Enterprise test system.  In this case, I installed optional update KB3000850 in a perfectly working and well tuned setup that was already running the up-to-date Avast 2015 Free antivirus package.  The update went in fine, but basically the system was badly broken after the update, emitting things like:

...and this one during logoff or restart:

Worst of all, the system would not successfully reboot.

A look at the Avast forum reveals that a lot of people are seeing these issues.

In order to successfully install the optional KB3000850 update and have a working system, BEFORE DOING THE UPDATE you should remove Avast antivirus completely using the AvastClear tool: 

http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

Some have reported their systems continue to work after the update and after reinstalling Avast, but in my testing my test system was re-borked in exactly the same ways by doing so.  Then the problems were again corrected by removing Avast.

For the moment I've put my sysetms back on Windows Defender, and everything seems to be working fine with KB3000850 in.

Avast engineering has yet to comment.  I'm sure they're scrambling to find the problems.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:35 PM

Answers

• Avast has a fix.  Get the latest download from them then either do a hard shutdown and restart or go to the control  panel  to programs then avast, click on change then repair and reboot.  Had the problem, removed the kb, installed the fix, reinstalled the kb and have had no more issues. 
    Monday, November 24, 2014 4:08 AM

All replies

• Yeah, probably an issue from Avast side. :)

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:38 AM
  • They've acknowledged it and promised an "emergency fix" by tomorrow.

For what it's worth, with Avast out of the picture I've been working all day with KB3000850 installed and it's run flawlessly.

I'm not sure I'll reinstall Avast.  I don't rely on my AV software as more than a last resort safety net (that almost never gets used), and Windows Defender is a fair bit more efficient.

-Noel

Friday, November 21, 2014 3:45 AM
  • No fix has yet been posted by Avast (clearly they want to test it thoroughly), but reflection on this update yields some poignant questions about just who's at fault here...

1.  Did Microsoft do in-depth testing of KB3000850 on systems with 3rd party antivirus software installed before rolling out this update?

2.  Assuming the answer to the above is "no" or "not much", aren't Microsoft's managers sensitive to the fact that Windows Updates are losing credibility?  Hint:  Making an update "optional" doesn't absolve Microsoft from one bit of the responsibility for making it work right.

3.  Did Microsoft make early copies of this update available to their partners?  For example Avast?  If not, why not?  Their user base is in the hundreds of millions.  If for no reason other than self-preservation, does Microsoft not think it's important that their updates not break actual systems in the field?

4.  For what it's worth, I've had zero problems with the update after removing Avast completely and dropping back to the integrated Windows Defender.  Is this Microsoft's plan?  To eliminate 3rd party antivirus vendors? 

-Noel

Friday, November 21, 2014 4:37 PM
  • Avast has a fix.  Get the latest download from them then either do a hard shutdown and restart or go to the control  panel  to programs then avast, click on change then repair and reboot.  Had the problem, removed the kb, installed the fix, reinstalled the kb and have had no more issues. 
    Monday, November 24, 2014 4:08 AM
  • Sure, they released the fix a day or two later.

But even if you get it working again - and it does correct the specific problem - you just get...  Avast again.

Their current product is simply not what it used to be.  I removed it in order to uninstall KB3000850 and I'm happy it's gone.  All the performance that I had seen lost over the past 6 months is back.

Next update to my book and the page on installing Avast is coming out.

-Noel

Monday, November 24, 2014 5:04 AM
  • Hi Noel and asc.tech,

Windows Updates have been passed lots of tests before released to the end users, but maybe still some side-effects we missed. Thanks for reporting this issus, our development forum will try our best to improve the perofrmance the all updates and thanks for sharing the solution with us, it will be very benefical for other community members who have similiar question.

Regards.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 1, 2014 1:22 AM
  • You're welcome, Yolanda, and thanks in return for passing the information back to the team.

In this particular case I don't blame Microsoft at all; the big update has worked perfectly since I ditched Avast.  In this case it's clear that Avast had a latent problem that was uncovered by the update.

-Noel

Monday, December 1, 2014 5:02 PM