Audio cracks with Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I use Cubase, an audio sequencer, with Vista. I use several plugins VST like compressors etc.
    I encouter several audio cracks during playback. The Cubase community said that this problem came from Vista. There will probably exist optimisation settings for audio, or different hardware configurations are needed.
    The PC is a P4 dual-core 3.20 ghz with 2047 MB Ram
    The audio interface is RME fireface400
    The sequencer is Cubase4

Do you have an idea?
    Thank you

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:07 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Oliver, I have also encountered similar issue on one computer. Most likely, the issue can be caused by CPU, hardware performance or audio card driver. As the current CPU/hardware performance should not be the cause of the issue, I would like to confirm if you have tried other versions of audio driver. Let's see if the issue can be resolved by using another version of audio driver.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  

Same here. It is caused only if you use too many plug-ins at the same time. On my old PC , 1 ghz AMD , I could only use like 3 light (mostly free) vst's and only 1 heavy VST (absynth). When I start using 1 new plugin within the same song , the audio started cracking and popping. Now I have a 3,2Ghz with 2 harddrives and I am still using Windows2000 because newer versions of windows use more CPU-power and memory , like Vista...

And because most plug-ins , even today , work perfectly on Win2000 , this would be the perfect version of windows...maybe XP would be better , I don't know. Now I can use all 8 VST-slots without the audio cracking.

But....even now when I start to use to many VST-Effects , the audio starts cracking and popping again...So to me it is just your hardware setup , version of Windows that causes the audio-cracks.

One little trick that will stop your audio from cracking during playback is to hold your left-mouse button during playback.

This will reduce the cracking to almost zero. Otherwise you just have to cut back on the VST's you use or buy a stronger PC , more memory , extra hardrive...Also remember to install your Windows as clean as possible , meaning , only install the components needed to use Cubase. So no office/mail/games etc.

It think on even the best possible setup , it is possible to get the vst-audio to crack and pop. If there is some1 out there that has another solution...Please post it here...Good luck

Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:53 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Oliver, I have also encountered similar issue on one computer. Most likely, the issue can be caused by CPU, hardware performance or audio card driver. As the current CPU/hardware performance should not be the cause of the issue, I would like to confirm if you have tried other versions of audio driver. Let's see if the issue can be resolved by using another version of audio driver.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  

Same here. It is caused only if you use too many plug-ins at the same time. On my old PC , 1 ghz AMD , I could only use like 3 light (mostly free) vst's and only 1 heavy VST (absynth). When I start using 1 new plugin within the same song , the audio started cracking and popping. Now I have a 3,2Ghz with 2 harddrives and I am still using Windows2000 because newer versions of windows use more CPU-power and memory , like Vista...

And because most plug-ins , even today , work perfectly on Win2000 , this would be the perfect version of windows...maybe XP would be better , I don't know. Now I can use all 8 VST-slots without the audio cracking.

But....even now when I start to use to many VST-Effects , the audio starts cracking and popping again...So to me it is just your hardware setup , version of Windows that causes the audio-cracks.

One little trick that will stop your audio from cracking during playback is to hold your left-mouse button during playback.

This will reduce the cracking to almost zero. Otherwise you just have to cut back on the VST's you use or buy a stronger PC , more memory , extra hardrive...Also remember to install your Windows as clean as possible , meaning , only install the components needed to use Cubase. So no office/mail/games etc.

It think on even the best possible setup , it is possible to get the vst-audio to crack and pop. If there is some1 out there that has another solution...Please post it here...Good luck

Sunday, May 4, 2008 11:53 AM