c0000135 %hs missing won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7

I do not have AVG installed. I believe this was effected by a virus (as just before I could not boot I had the "Win 7 Home Security" virus pop up).

How do I boot up my computer without losing my files? I've tried the Googles, but nothing is working. I do not have back-ups that would be of ANY use, and this hard drive is vital to my academic and personal future. It is a Toshiba Satellite Series L655D-S5109.

What is %hs? How do I boot around it? Is there a way to load from a DVD or USB drive a fix for %hs being missing? Is there a way that I can protect my files at this date and do a full system wipe? Is there anything I haven't thought of? I need these files...I am an intermediate to advanced user, though not worthy of "Shibboleth."

I have learned two things from this already: The importance of back-ups, and the importance of regularly updating security definitions.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• If the problem is that your computer has actually been attacked by a virus, booting it may not be the best thing to try.

I would suggest that you look into configuring the hard drive to be connected to another computer as a secondary drive. If that other computer does not execute any software that might be located on this hard drive, it should be able to safely copy the files to its own local storage where they can be scanned by whatever AV software is installed on that system. Of course, it depends how the virus operates. If it encrypts the drivem the above will not recover the files.

Once you have recovered your files, the drive should probably be wiped clean and reformatted, after which time you'd reinstall the O/S and applications from the original media, plus an antivirus product. you should then take a backup before copying the recovered files back. Then run the antivirus program and do another backup afterwards.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:22 AM
  • Hi,

Another possibility for file recovery before a reformat is using a flash
    drive and a Live CD,

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Al:
    I would try that, but for availability of a connector to another computer. I have a 16gb flash drive, but of the 200gb I have on my laptop, only a miniscule amount can be discarded. Assuming that, would it be worth it to manually (and slowly) transfer the files to another computer and follow the procedure you advised?

Mike:
    I don't have linux installed, I'm afraid.

What is the "%" in Windows? Where is "%hs" and, provided I find a pre-boot way to insert it, could it be sent from another computer?

More information:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
    02: 6.17600.16385
    03: unknown
    04: 21200691
    05: AutoFailover
    06: 7
    07: BadDriver
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Possibly, but it is impossible to know what it is because %hs would
    normally be substituted for a string with the file name, for my previous
    post, you don;t need to have linux installed, you use a distribution
    that boots off of the cd like knoppix. HAve you tried an offline
    integrity check,

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:54 AM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Good suggestions from Mike - I had forgotten about my bootable Knoppix disk.

If the data is so important to you, perhaps you could purchase an external USB-connected drive with a capacity greater than 200GB. I have a 2TB (2000GB) drive that cost less than $200. These also come in 1.5TB, 1TB, 500GB, and 250GB sizes. And, once you have everything working again, you could use it to back that data up.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:22 AM