none
Software update failing using mobile broadband (UK) RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed a mobile broadband solution for my laptop. T-mobile web'n'walk PCMCIA card.

Even when setting my device to connect at startup, software updates using steadystate fails each time.  I do not know if a connection is being made when SS boot into update mode.  As I have disk protection on, I am not recieving updates for my system of my anti-virus.

Has anyone had similar issues and managed to resolve?

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:10 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Scott, thanks for the update. I'd like to inform you that Windows SteadyState does not "use" internet connection itself. Automatic Updates (AU) still works and Windows SteadyState only provides UI to control AU settings. As a result, there should be no difference with or without SteadyState installed on this issue. So, I consider this can be simple Windows Update/Automatic Updates issue. Let's temporarily remove Windows SteadyState and see if AU/Windows Update works with the connection.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:27 AM
  •  

Thank you all for the update.

Scott, the Windows SteadyState Service runs with Local System credentials (you can verify this by running services.msc to inspect the properties of that service).  At update time, the service executes %sctpath%\scripts\WindowsUpdates.vbs to perform Windows/Microsoft/WSUS updates.  If a custom script is configured, the custom script is executed.  Finally, if a supported AV product is detected and updates for it are enabled in Windows SteadyState, it will execute the corresponding %sctpath%\scripts\SCT*.vbs file. 

You can modify the WindowsUpdates.vbs script to connect to mobile broadband provider first. However, please be very cautious. These scripts must not show any UI nor require any user input.  If they do, the script will simply hang.  Because the scripts are run from the service desktop, UI that they attempt to present is not visible to users. 

Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:27 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Scott, I consider the issue can be caused by other factors instead of Windows SteadyState as it only provides UI to centralize Windows Update and virus definition update. I suggest you first try to manually update virus definition and install updates via Windows Update site. You can also check if the issue occurs if we temporarily remove Windows SteadyState. This will help us to isolate the cause of the issue.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:21 AM
  • Thanks for your input.  Windows update and AV updates are working when connected to a wireless network or using a network cable.  The problem only happens when using the mobile broadband solution.  The internet connection is initiated by the T-mobile connection manager.  This can be set to autoconnect when a user logs on but seems to be a per user setting.  What I need to know is how steadystate uses an internet connection?  When a reboot happens to perform updates, what credentials are used to log on so that the software can use an internet connection.  If I can understand how SS performs its updates, I can perhaps get the broadband software to connect when SS needs it.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:45 AM
  •  

Hi Scott, thanks for the update. I'd like to inform you that Windows SteadyState does not "use" internet connection itself. Automatic Updates (AU) still works and Windows SteadyState only provides UI to control AU settings. As a result, there should be no difference with or without SteadyState installed on this issue. So, I consider this can be simple Windows Update/Automatic Updates issue. Let's temporarily remove Windows SteadyState and see if AU/Windows Update works with the connection.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 3:27 AM
  • Sean, I will detail the steps I have tried so far :

SteadyState Uninstalled

• Windows update using cat5 - success
    • Windows update using wireless - success
    • Windows update using mobile broadband - success

Steadystate Installed

• Windows update using cat5 - success
    • Windows update using wireless - success
    • Windows update using mobile broadband - fails

The more I am looking at this the more I am thinking that this is a limitation of the mobile broadband connection software.  It would seem that the software does not connect to the t-mobile network automatically.  This means that when SS reboots the computer, the network connection is lost and can only be initiated by a user logging on to the machine.  When SS tries to connect to AU, it fails as there is no network connection available.

I will try to find a way to initiate the connection at startup.

Thanks

Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Hi Sean,

I think Scott is actually referring to SteadyState's own "scheduled update" component. His internet connection relies on a user-mode app running to initiate the mobile-broadband connection. He's asking what user does SteadyState log on as in order to perform its sceduled updates, and how can he get his user-mode app to run before SS tries its updates.

Think of it as something similar to the old manual dial-up access (or even the MS Connection Manager for VPN's) - you have to load and run it whilst logged in as a user before you can access the remote resource / internet / fileshare.

Cheers

Steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 5:32 PM
  • Steve, Sean

Thats exactly the problem I am having.  I'm not having a lot of success with the Broadband connection software although there are some user xml files I could edit but I need more information on how SteadyState logs on to perfom updates.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:15 AM
  •  

Thank you all for the update.

Scott, the Windows SteadyState Service runs with Local System credentials (you can verify this by running services.msc to inspect the properties of that service).  At update time, the service executes %sctpath%\scripts\WindowsUpdates.vbs to perform Windows/Microsoft/WSUS updates.  If a custom script is configured, the custom script is executed.  Finally, if a supported AV product is detected and updates for it are enabled in Windows SteadyState, it will execute the corresponding %sctpath%\scripts\SCT*.vbs file. 

You can modify the WindowsUpdates.vbs script to connect to mobile broadband provider first. However, please be very cautious. These scripts must not show any UI nor require any user input.  If they do, the script will simply hang.  Because the scripts are run from the service desktop, UI that they attempt to present is not visible to users. 

Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:27 AM
  • I am new to SteadyState but I think I have a similar situation. I am configuring a laptop to be used in a public area so I have a restricted profile setup that is locked. I have disk protection enabled, and I have antivirus installed and configured to update via SteadyState.

The only way the laptop ever has an internet connection is when a USB broadband card is inserted and a logged on user manually clicks a button in a connection manager UI to initiate a connection. If the user logs off or the computer reboots, the internet connection is lost until you login to the profile and manually initiate the connection again.

Updates were initiated when we were online and the computer rebooted. Now the computer is at the login screen with a message that "The system is currently being updated and will be restarted when the updates are complete". It never completes and reboots.

I am wondering if SteadyState requires an internet connection when the computer reboots before you even login. If so then I see this as a design flaw. At the very least it should be able to detect that a network connection is not available and timeout.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Also, does anyone know if I disabled Windows updates and only retained the AV updates in SteadtState could I avoid this problem or would it remain.

Thank you for any help in advance.

-Jeff

Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:58 PM