Lync 2013 Push Notifications? RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Lync 2013 on-prem, and I have been reading about push notifications and apple devices. What is not clear to me is this- Since we have no cloud-based subscriptions to Lync components of Office 365, do we need to set up a federation with sipfed.online.lync.com? I see it listed under SIP Federated providers, along with federation.messenger.domain.com. Do I need to open port 5223 TCP outbound on my firewall for push notifications to work? Are push notifications even needed with recent versions of iOS?

I appreciate any advice. I am planning to upgrade soon, but for the moment, this version is what is currently in place.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Monday, December 2, 2019 1:45 PM

All replies

• Hi FatalXcept10n

1.Do we need to set up a federation with sipfed.online.lync.com if we have no cloud-based subscriptions to Lync components of Office 365?

If you don’t have Lync components of Office 365, you cannot use push notification because push Notification requires a Lync or OCS Edge Server and Federation with Lync Online.

2.Do I need to open port 5223 TCP outbound on my firewall for push notifications to work?

In my research, if your devices connect to the push notification over Wi-Fi must have TCP port 5223 opened on any firewalls between the device and the Internet open. For more details, you can refer to:

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=48569

3.Are push notifications even needed with recent versions of iOS?

If you use Lync 2010 Mobile on Apple devices, push notification is an important consideration but if you use Lync 2013 Mobile on Apple devices, you no longer need push notification. You can refer the following article to know more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lyncserver/lync-server-2013-configuring-for-push-notifications

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:39 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this case?
    Please feel free to drop us a note if there is any update.
    Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 11:08 AM