none
Workflow not functioning RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server environment in Azure configured according to https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt723354(v=office.16).aspx - that is a SharePoint 2016 single server with Project Server (I have added the key for Project Server).

I have setup a User profile service sync with AD and synced in the users from AD. I have installed Workflow Manager and it say "Connected" in the Workflow Service Application Proxy. I can publish a simple workflow with SharePoint Designer 2013 (and I do not use a farm admin account when I do it).

The problem is that when I create a new project based on a an Enterprise Project Type with the workflow, the Submit button is greyed out so I cannot move the workflow forward. When I click Additional Workflow information I get this info:

Retrying last request. Next attempt scheduled in less than one minute. Details of last request: HTTP Unauthorized to http://<servername>.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com/pwa/_api/ProjectServer/WorkflowActivities/EnterProjectStage(projectId='cbd326c4-948c-e611-80ce-000d3a26356e',stageId='1d019eae-c38b-e611-80cb-000d3a26356e') Correlation Id: f29ba4d6-1459-88d9-973e-014a6ec91c36 Instance Id: b24ec29a-d01c-454d-81ba-bed48d3839e4 

I have tried most things that I can come up with, checking the loopback check, checking that the accounts really are in User Profiles, checking permissions. But I don't much more ideas now. So if anyone knows the answer to this problem I would really appreciate it. 

Best regards

Johan

Friday, October 7, 2016 2:26 PM

Answers

• It seems that I have solved this issue now by applying the latest SharePoint/Project Server PU (October 2016) and running the SharePoint Configuration wizard. Previously no PU was installed to the environment. Now I can run though workflows with different accounts.

Johan

• Marked as answer by VP_JR Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:51 AM

All replies

• Make sure that your PWA administrator is part of Administrator's group

I have seen one issue where when you edit the user you can see administrators group  is listed under the account , however when you edit Administrators group same user is not listed as member of this group

Hrishi

• Marked as answer by VP_JR Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by VP_JR Friday, October 14, 2016 11:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by VP_JR Friday, October 14, 2016 11:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by VP_JR Friday, October 14, 2016 11:28 AM
    Monday, October 10, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Hrishi! This together with recreating PWA solved it.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:29 PM
  • I thought this was completely solved but unfortunately it does not seem so. It only works for the SharePoint setup account to run trough the workflow in PWA, for other users the submit button is greyed out even though their accounts are both in the administrators group in PWA and in User Profile in SharePoint.

And also, an account should not have to be in the in the Administrators group in PWA to be able to run a workflow for a project. All project managers needs to be able to create projects and be able to step trough the workflow in Project Center.

If you or anybody else have any more input regarding this that would be highly appreciated.

Monday, October 17, 2016 11:06 AM
  • I was not recommending to add PM account as administrator. Issue which I have seen was with administrator's account itself . E.g If I edit my user ID in PWA and add administrator group , save the changes and when I edit Administrators groups, my Id was not listed in the group ( though I was able to use all admin functionality) , except workflow. So I had to manually add  my user ID into admin group as well.

Did you create the workflow using "SharePoint 2013 Workflow - Project Server"  workflow platform.

Hrishi

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 2:36 PM
  • Yes, we have created several site workflows: SharePoint 2013 Workflow - Project Server. And it works for the SharePoint setup account that is in the Project Server Security group Administrators, but it does not work for other accounts - even if we place them in the same Administrators group (although we should not need to do that).
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:27 PM
  • It seems that I have solved this issue now by applying the latest SharePoint/Project Server PU (October 2016) and running the SharePoint Configuration wizard. Previously no PU was installed to the environment. Now I can run though workflows with different accounts.

Johan

• Marked as answer by VP_JR Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:52 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:51 AM