none
How to Block IceSoft Browser and Java RRS feed

• Question

• I want to block library patrons who bring in the following simple hyperlink on a CD or floppy: http://download.icesoft.com/demo/index.html. It launches a java-based browser, thereby defeating my proxy restrictions in IE. The only thing I can think to do is to let the application load (yes, it does, even with SteadyState turned on) and then block java.

Will there be any harm in blocking the program java.exe or javaw.exe? Of course, there are dozens of these executables in Program Files, so this still a lot of work. Any solutions??

CCC

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Chris,

We can block this browser by using the following method:

1.       Open SteadyState.

2.       Click the shared user profile.

3.       Under Block programs, choose Browse.

4.       Navigate to C:\Program files\Java Web Start and choose javaws.exe, press Open.

5.       Locate and click it on the left panel and press the button "Block". This will add the program to block programs.

6.       Press OK.

By blocking this process, the user will no longer be able to use Java based web start programs. This will not do any harm to the computer and we do not need to worry about it.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:52 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Chris,

We can block this browser by using the following method:

1.       Open SteadyState.

2.       Click the shared user profile.

3.       Under Block programs, choose Browse.

4.       Navigate to C:\Program files\Java Web Start and choose javaws.exe, press Open.

5.       Locate and click it on the left panel and press the button "Block". This will add the program to block programs.

6.       Press OK.

By blocking this process, the user will no longer be able to use Java based web start programs. This will not do any harm to the computer and we do not need to worry about it.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 7:52 AM
  • Just a comment: I encountered this exact problem about 18 months ago and had to ban the patron from the library as a result. Either Shawn Shao or Sean Zhu answered my question exactly the same -- thank you, and it did work. However, if you will search the C: drive you will see that javaws.exe is located in several directories, depending on how many times you've updated java, so you must block them all:

c:\windows\system32\javaws.exe
    c:\program files\javaxxxxx\javaws.exe

PCC
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:39 PM