none
DPM Consistency Check RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Just trying to re add the protection group for Exchange (had to remove it for one reason or another) and I get the following

I am asking a really silly question here, but what does the above cosnsist of? Does it take our DB offline?

Want to do it tonight overnight but is it going to cause me issues in the morning?

Thanks

Richard 

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Consistency Check will not take your Exchange DB offline.

Concistency Check  is the process by which DPM checks for and corrects inconsistencies between a protected data source and its replica.

What Is a Consistency Check? : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399470.aspx

As indicated in this technet link "The performance of the protected computer and the DPM server will be affected while a consistency check is running. It is best to schedule consistency checks and perform one-time consistency checks during off-peak hours."

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Hi R C Harris,

You wrote "trying to re add the protection group for Exchange", so by doing this operation, DPM will re use your Old replica and then trigger a CC to see if your data are consistent.

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Consistency Check will not take your Exchange DB offline.

Concistency Check  is the process by which DPM checks for and corrects inconsistencies between a protected data source and its replica.

What Is a Consistency Check? : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399470.aspx

As indicated in this technet link "The performance of the protected computer and the DPM server will be affected while a consistency check is running. It is best to schedule consistency checks and perform one-time consistency checks during off-peak hours."

Stephane

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Thanks but there is currently no data to "consistency check" so I don't see why it is doing that? the old replicas are in inactive protection.

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:27 AM
  • Hi R C Harris,

You wrote "trying to re add the protection group for Exchange", so by doing this operation, DPM will re use your Old replica and then trigger a CC to see if your data are consistent.

Stephane

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:09 AM