Why external resources files? RRS feed

• Question

• When I build my project, there is a lot of files with extension

.resources
      .Properties.Resources.resources

I assume that I have some way setup my project to create external resource files but this is not desirable.

Can you assist me in getting my project back to only producing assemblies (DLL and EXE)?

TIA

Søren

Best regards Soeren D.
    • Moved by Helen Zhou Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:34 AM (From:Windows Forms General)
    • Moved by Helen Zhou Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:18 AM (From:ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects)
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Soeren,

This is not a UI question. Visual C# General  is the right forum for this topic. You can change the mentioned file place by right click project's Resources.resx -> Properties -> Build action.

Regards,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Soeren Dalby Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Helen Zhou Monday, April 4, 2011 2:20 PM
    • Edited by Helen Zhou Monday, April 4, 2011 2:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Soeren Dalby Friday, August 19, 2011 1:21 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Soren

No this are not external resources. 

In your solution they are stored in the RESX but when build they are put embedded in the assembly.

There is by the way an external RESX that is for the languages in Windows Forms.

However, these resources you are talking now about you can simply set in your program by

Project => solution Properties => Resources and than paste them in as string, object, image or sound

In VB you can get them with 

My.Resources.TheName

In C# with

Properties.Resources.TheName

Be aware that this question of you is not really a windows forms namespace question.

Because of the way you state your question, it seems to me that next time for you the Visual C# General forum is a better place to ask this kind of questions.

Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi Cor

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if we are on the same track. Normally when I build Winforms applications, only DLL and EXE (and PDB) files are produced in DEBUG and RELEASE.

For this project, DEBUG and RELEASE are also populates with the files mentioned. I assume that these resources are normally embedded in the assemblies but for some reason not for this project. I just want them embedded. I have no use for external resources.

I do think this is the right forum, because this is done for each Windows Form - and thus seem to be a Windows Form issue and not a general C# issue.

Hope you can help, this blocks my ability to release.

TIA

Soeren

Best regards Soeren D.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Hi Soeren,

This is not a UI question. Visual C# General  is the right forum for this topic. You can change the mentioned file place by right click project's Resources.resx -> Properties -> Build action.

Regards,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Soeren Dalby Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Helen Zhou Monday, April 4, 2011 2:20 PM
    • Edited by Helen Zhou Monday, April 4, 2011 2:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Soeren Dalby Friday, August 19, 2011 1:21 PM
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Closed and moved to the forum suggested by moderator
    Best regards Soeren D.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi Soeren,

Sorry that moved to the wrong forum. This is not a UI question. You'd better posted on Visual C# General   forum for this topic. There're more C# general experts who will give you better help.

Sincerely,

Helen Zhou [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:17 AM