IE crashes when editing a list view in datasheet view RRS feed

• Question

• Using MOSS 2007;

We have a list which crashes browser (IE 8) when the list is edited in datasheet view. I've figured out that a Multi-line text field is causing this issue. I've created a view without this field and the edit in datasheet is working fine. This is not a permission issue for sureAnybody have any idea, please advice.

Update:

- This issue is in only one user's machine, others are able to edit without any issue.

--Cheers

• Edited by Prasath C Monday, April 22, 2013 10:00 AM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir Liu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Emir Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 19, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Thanks Emir.

I've resolved the issue. Noticed that user's machine has got both version of Office 2007 and 2010 installed, so ran Office Diagnostics and that resolved the issue.

--Cheers

• Edited by Prasath C Monday, April 22, 2013 3:25 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Thanks for your update Prasath. I was following this thread as have a similar issue. :-)

Can your user now edit with views with multi-line text field? or you are providing them view without multi-line text field? In my case people don't have both versions of Office but have not tried running the Diagnostics yet.

Please let me know.  

BlueSky2010
    Please help and appreciate others by using forum features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Yes, my users is able to edit in datasheet view now. I've added the multi-line text column in the view.

--Cheers

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may happen if there are multiple version of Office installed on the same system because there are multiple copies of the STSList.dll file. So BlueSky2010, you may want to search the users computer to see if they have multiple copies of this file. In that case, you need to identify the correct version (matching the Office version) and then rename the other file (after closing all applications).

Regards, Vijay R G Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:41 PM
  • Thanks Vijay for your suggestion. So finally I got the user to try your suggestion and unfortunately the issue still persists. 

One strange thing we noticed is - this issue is with only one list - apparently user can use the Datasheet view for other lists. Now it's not a list specific issue as another affected user can use this DataSheet view from another computer and I can't reproduce this issue from my computer even though I've two different versions of the 'STSList.dll'. Any other suggestion? 

Here is what we tried so far without success: 

1. We found roughly 11 of the 'STSList.dll' in his C drive - out of those 2 were in Program Files folder. Since the user has Office 2010 and Designer 2007 installed, we moved the DLL from the Office12 folder to test. this did not fix the issue. 
    2. Ran repair Office Program from Control Panel - no luck
    3. Deleted the registry entry "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{65BCBEE4-7728-41A0-97BE-14E1CAE36AAE}" as per this blog
    4. Tried running IE in 8 mode and 9 Compatibility mode..no luck
    5. Affected computers's Office version - Office Prof Plus 2010 (64 bit), IE 9 and Window 7 

Appreciate any feedback with this!

BlueSky2010
    Please help and appreciate others by using forum features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Looks like the issue is #5 - Refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2266203.

Regards, Vijay R G Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Vijay - 

As noted above these two affected users can edit other lists in Datasheet view so I find it hard to believe they don't have "2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components", 32 bit version of the datasheet component. Anyway I'd double check with the users and update you. 

By the way, I also have the same specs (outlined in # 5) as the users but can edit this list just fine. Really I'm out of ideas here :-(

BlueSky2010

Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:24 PM
  • Any suggestion anyone? 

Sorry Prasath - I hijacked your thread :-)

BlueSky2010

• Proposed as answer by lamarck001 Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by lamarck001 Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 8:40 PM
  • Hello all

i have same problem i have found out that

1. you cannot have any column name longer than 255 characters

2. it crashes IE if you have lot of columns (don't know exactly what is the limit) - we have 660 columns and it crashes IE, but other list with 50-100 columns works fine

did any of you resolved this?

Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:15 PM