WSUS client showing update's needed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new WSUS role that I am testing.

I have the server set to automatically approved the following classifications..

My test machine is showing that it needs 13 updates (Machine has been online for over 24 hrs and I have checked for updates several times). When I look at the 13 updates that are need, they show not approved.

I have these set to automatically be approved as per the pic above.

Note: When I click into one of the updates, it shows it has been approved for two specific group, when it should have been approved for all win7 machine at least...

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on?

This update should have been automatically approved for all.

Thanks for the assistance.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

In the above test , I only selected the "upgrade" classification .

It seems that other updates has different behavior of automatic approval .

Yesterday , I tested for "critical updates" .

1. automatic approvals approved almost all of the updates

2. after that , one computer displays 14 needed updates, then , I installed only one update stated "supersedes another update" . In WSUS console , it displayed there are only 11 needed updates left.

But , I can't reproduced the same behavior what you have encountered in the original post .

Based on my test , even though I approve a win10 update to windows 7 computer group , it still works .

If it is possible , I'd suggest you clear all rules then create a new one , then , click "Run Rule" for the new one to see if there is any difference .

Any further information please feel free to let us know .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

I had to rerun the approval rule about 5-6 times and it finally worked.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Edited by vs2017sv Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by vs2017sv Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:12 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:11 AM

All replies

• Could it be that these updates are superseded and I just need to run a server cleanup even though all of these updates just downloaded yesterday?
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 5:07 PM
  • Hi Sir,

Yes , these updates stated "is supersed by another update" will not be automatically approved .

In addition , please select that rule then click "Run Rule" to save it and run it first time :

Best Regards,

Elton

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 8:53 AM
  • If the update is superseded by another, I'm curious as to why is the computer not showing a update status of 100%.

Overall, when I built the server, I ran a synchronize before creating my automatic approval rules and running them. 

I re-ran the rule two times same issue..

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 11:38 AM
  • Hi ,

2. after that , one computer displays 14 needed updates, then , I installed only one update stated "supersedes another update" . In WSUS console , it displayed there are only 11 needed updates left.

But , I can't reproduced the same behavior what you have encountered in the original post .

Based on my test , even though I approve a win10 update to windows 7 computer group , it still works .

If it is possible , I'd suggest you clear all rules then create a new one , then , click "Run Rule" for the new one to see if there is any difference .

Best Regards,

Elton

• Marked as answer by vs2017sv Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by vs2017sv Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:10 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Best Regards,

Elton

I had to rerun the approval rule about 5-6 times and it finally worked.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Edited by vs2017sv Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by vs2017sv Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:12 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 2:11 AM