none
Deployment fail cause fo missing NIC driver. & MDT deployment share properties Drivers and patches issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

i have this new Dell's laptop (Latitude E7470) that I'm trying to deploy. when deploy starts, right after I click on "Run the depoyment wizard to install a new computer deployment",  it immediately shout on missing drivers (PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_156F&SUBSYS_06DC1028&REV_21 which is the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM device).

i followed this forum guide (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19676051/20898909?rfsh=1460360493687) which basically direct me to download the Intel driver from there site and extract it, and added all of the 32 and 64-bit drivers to their respective driver management locations (both their regular install folders and the winpe folder for the boot images).

For that i follow this guy guide (http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management) which basically tell me to create 1 folder under out of the box drivers for windows 7 drivers and 2 additional folders for WinPE 64 and WinPE 86. then make 2 selection profiles, 1 for the x64 and 1 for x86 and direct them to their designated folders under out of the box...

then i went to MDT Deployment share properties and at the Windows PE tab go to the Drivers and Patches and there configure for each platform which selection profile to use.

when booting for deployment i still have the same error.

under MDT Deployment share properties i went to Windows PE and under General tab i changed the background bitmap. when boot again i still getting the default bitmap and not what i choose. So i start thinking whether my new setup is working or not.

the strange thing is that i'm using VM to mount my basic windows installation and to patch it with new microsoft updates and then recapture it, for this I disjoin from the domain, and net use to the deploymentshare$ folder and run the litetouch.vbs. when doing this i do see the bitmap file I configured.

can any1 help pls? why when booting from WinPE and do not pull the MDT Deployment share properties and when running the litetouch.vbs it does.

Thanks a lot for your help.

• Edited by Eli Goldhar Tuesday, April 26, 2016 9:06 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 2:30 PM

Answers

• If you’re like me then you probably extracted the drivers for the network card, then only imported the ones for the OS/bitrate (i.e. Windows 7/x64) that you are deploying.  I’ve run into this issue before.  It appears the card manufacturer either

1.     Didn’t include the WinPE driver in the version of the drive imported (again Windows 7/x64)
    2.      Included the WinPE driver, but it doesn’t work with the specific version of MDT/AIK (or ADK) in use

In either case I’ve had to import drivers for an OS other than the one I’m planning on deploying. 

For the Dell E7470 using MDT2012 Update 1 and the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK)  8.0 this worked for me:

1.  Download the Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller Drivers from here

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=KJTXR&fileId=3508652136&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-e7470-ultrabook&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

2.  Run the downloaded file, select “Extract” and extract to a temp folder like C:\Temp

3.  Open the C:\Temp folder, then open the "Production" sub-folder

4.  Delete all folders except Windows7-x64 and Windows8-x64

5.  Import the remaining driver files from C:\Temp\Production into MDT’s Out of Box drivers

6.  Update the Deployment Share

7.  If using WDS update the Boot Image from the updated Deployment Share\Boot folder.  If using Media deployment update the Media first, then update the files on your USB Flash drive

8.  Try again

Until I imported the Windows8-x64 set of drivers I received the same MDT error as you did, after it works fine.

Dave

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hi

First of all - why aren't you using the Build and Capture TaskSequence this will first install Windows, then patch Windows and last capture your reference image.

If you are using the same device to image over and over again - do you have a MININT folder on the C:\ then it will not get the new WinPe when starting the litetouch.vbs again.

You can get the Dell Driver pack for WinPe from here: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/11530.winpe-10-driver-pack

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:24 PM
  • I don't have this option Build and Capture. I do have sysprep and capture.

I'm using MDT 2012. Do i need to install 2013 to have this TaskSequence?

• Edited by Eli Goldhar Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:49 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi

No that is the normal Task Sequence - and the out come is depending of what you choose in the Deployment Wizard or setup in the customsettings.ini.

For capture settings you need some things like this:

SkipCapture=YES
    DoCapture=YES
    ComputerBackupLocation=NETWORK
    BackupShare=\\SCCM01\Deploymentlab$
    BackupDir=Captures
    BackupFile=%TaskSequenceID%_#day(date) & "-" & month(date) & "-" & year(date)#.wim

Kind regards

Per Larsen

Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 4:44 PM
  • If the NIC is a child device you might want to follow Johan's post that you have linked above and use Total control instead of Total chaos.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:40 PM
  • Hello Eli,

Are you making sure after adding the drivers and bitmap that you are:

1. Updating the deployment share to inject the new drivers and bitmap into the winPE boot wim found in %DeployRoot%\Boot and optionally the litetouch iso files?

2. Recreating any media you use with the new boot wim (or lite touch iso files) from %DeployRoot%\Boot? For example, if you are using WDS/PXE you have to import the new boot wim into WDS management console.

How are you booting into MDT on the Dell Laptop? PXE/WDS or CD\USB media?

Regards,

Darren

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 9:03 PM
  • If you’re like me then you probably extracted the drivers for the network card, then only imported the ones for the OS/bitrate (i.e. Windows 7/x64) that you are deploying.  I’ve run into this issue before.  It appears the card manufacturer either

1.     Didn’t include the WinPE driver in the version of the drive imported (again Windows 7/x64)
    2.      Included the WinPE driver, but it doesn’t work with the specific version of MDT/AIK (or ADK) in use

In either case I’ve had to import drivers for an OS other than the one I’m planning on deploying. 

For the Dell E7470 using MDT2012 Update 1 and the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK)  8.0 this worked for me:

1.  Download the Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller Drivers from here

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=KJTXR&fileId=3508652136&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-e7470-ultrabook&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

2.  Run the downloaded file, select “Extract” and extract to a temp folder like C:\Temp

3.  Open the C:\Temp folder, then open the "Production" sub-folder

4.  Delete all folders except Windows7-x64 and Windows8-x64

5.  Import the remaining driver files from C:\Temp\Production into MDT’s Out of Box drivers

6.  Update the Deployment Share

7.  If using WDS update the Boot Image from the updated Deployment Share\Boot folder.  If using Media deployment update the Media first, then update the files on your USB Flash drive

8.  Try again

Until I imported the Windows8-x64 set of drivers I received the same MDT error as you did, after it works fine.

Dave

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:51 PM
  • OMG!!!

DAVE!!!!! You are the king!!!!!!!

update the boot image in WDS did the trick.

I was sure that when you update deployment share it update the wds boot image as well. i was wrong :)

anyway, all work fine now. I can't thank you enough :) god bless you lol.

Monday, June 27, 2016 8:28 AM
  • DAVE!!!!!!! How you ever thought to do this, I'll never know, but if I ever have a son, his name is going to be Dave.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:18 PM
  • Just posting to say thanks for this!

This helped a lot.  

Friday, September 23, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Hi all,

We just purchased about 80 of the Dell E7470 laptops.  I'm getting a error that a NIC driver is missing so it crashes wen I try to PXE Boot.  I'm attaching the exact error.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  I already injected all the recommended CAB Driver files into MDT and updated the deployment share and updated the boot image with WDS.  I see a lot of other people had this problem, but I don't see any fixes.

Michael Agee

Monday, September 26, 2016 3:45 PM
  • The problem is that I have a new Dell E7470 laptops.   The drivers Dell gives us are either malfunctioning or missing.  When I do a PXE boot at the end when I should be able to choose what image to load, it crashes with this error. 

​Steps Taken:
    1.  Download latest system drivers for laptop.
    2.  Imported the drivers into "out of box drivers"
    3.  Updated the Deployment Share
    3.  Using WDS updated the wim file from boot images.

Did you get the answer for this problem?

Monday, September 26, 2016 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

in your MDT Deployment Share Properties, under Windows PE -> Drivers and patches, do you have both "Include all network drivers in the selection profile" & "Include all mass storage drivers in the selection profile" checked?

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:12 AM
  • You saved my life man!! What is was doing was just adding the complete extracted folder for import and it was taking god knows how many drivers! Thanks a ton!!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:53 AM