IS streaming server for App-V is mandatory for APP-V xenapp Integration kit?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am  able to publish app-v packages through xenapp using App-V streaming server and App-V  for RDS  leveraging app-v integration kit my questions is that we mandatorily need this streaming server for publishing xenapp  or there is another way around like we can access the osd from a share location where other profiles for xenapp are residing ....????

i m lil bit confused as can we skip streaming server or not ???

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Publishing App-V applications and streaming the packages are two separate functions. The streaming piece can be RTSP (i.e. the Management Server or Streaming Server), SMB (i.e. a file share) or HTTP (i.e. a web server).

See these links for more info on the ApplicationSourceRoot property of the client to control streaming:

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 6, 2012 2:36 PM
  • thanx Aron for reply ..but ill give a clear picture...we have App-V for RDS in xenapp environment whose client resides on the xenapp server now referring to citrix xenapp- app-v architecture ..the sequenced apps can be put in into app hub of xenapp and then OSD can be accessed ....talking of dual mode in xenapp when tried to launch the apps from shared location where rest of the xenapp profiles were situated ..we are unable to launch the application as the clients throws an error stating " cannot be retreive the application from the osd"...now when i installed app-v streamer we were able to launch the application..so here my point is for xenapp and app-v integration do we surely require aap-v streaming server as this article says 

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX126082 

do we have to tell our clients that we definatley need app-v streaming server??? or we can leverage it from app hub of xenapp which is just a file share.

Friday, January 6, 2012 7:43 PM
  • do we have to tell our clients that we definatley need app-v streaming server??? or we can leverage it from app hub of xenapp which is just a file share.

Hence the links to ApplicationSourceRoot.

From the Citrix KB article:

c. In Communication set Allow Independent File Streaming to Enabled and Application Source Root to Enabled and the value is your streaming server. (rtsp://streaming-server-name.domain.suffix:554)

Change ApplicationSourceRoot to what you would prefer to stream over, which would be SMB.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:51 PM
  • thanx aron wil try and let you know.
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

We do not have App V component Installed as yet , and as i was checking , it has a lot of components as Managemnet Server , Streaming Server , Sequecer , Client.

We already have XenApp Environmnet that we are using. However wanted to test what App V integration can provide us. Now my dilema is i dont know what to install as the documnetation has so many components , Managemnet Server , Streaming Server , Sequecer , Client.

Do i even need them or do i just need a Sequencer to create the Virtual app and then what ? Install a client on XenAPp Server ..I am a lil confused on what to ask for .

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

I suggest you see this page;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/appvirtualization/cc843994

It contains a trial guide (so you can see different possibilites) and a design and planning guide - aswell as many other documents

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:44 PM
  • to my understanding you will need the following to have an App-v up and running;

1.SQL server. (can ben on the same machine as managment, but not recommended)
    2.App-v management / streaming server.
    3.Sequencer manchine. this can be a VM if you are using Hyper-v, becauae you will need to revert after sequencing each application.

now the streaming part can be directly to the client machiens or to an RDS Session host server (AKA terminal server).

the documentation is really straight forward on this type of setup, but if you start getting fantcy, then you will need more info, which you are welcome to come back here and ask about as you need.

hope this helps.

Mohsen Almassud

Monday, February 13, 2012 1:20 AM
  • Monday, April 9, 2012 1:14 PM