Outlook 2007 - Hosted Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have a hosted Exchange account which I access in Outlook 2007 using the Exchange over HTTP protocol.

I installed Office 2007 on my newly installed Windows 7 (7000, x64) machine, and when I went into Outlook it prompted me to enter my settings for my Exchange account (which is using the settings autodiscovery). When I did this, it looked like it was going fine, but then it popped up a box asking me for my credentials (i.e. my email address and Exchange password). I entered this and clicked OK, and the box came back up again. It keeps doing this, which means I can't finish setting up my Exchange account.

I have a Hyper-V server sitting here so I also tried an experiment with that. I have a WIndows Vista VM which has never had Office installed before, so I put that on and tried setting up my same Exchange account. This worked perfectly. Then I installed Windows 7 into a VM and tried doing the same thing. I got the same problem that I had on my physical machine - i.e. it keeps prompting me for my credentials.

I also tried running Outlook in Windows Vista compatability mode and this had a different error again - now when I set up my account, Outlook says "The account you added is not fully configured. It might not work properly until re-configured correctly." I got the same error when using XP SP2 compatibility mode,

Has anyone else found this problem (and, even better solved it? :)

Thanks,

John
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi all

I just found a solution! Manually setting up the Exchange settings worked fine (copying them from the Vista machine that was working) - with the one change that I needed to use NTLM authentication in the Outlook Anywhere settings.

Thankfully my hosted Exchange provider supports NTLM, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do this.

Hope this helps someone out.

Cheers

John
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:13 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:37 PM

All replies

• Hi all

I just found a solution! Manually setting up the Exchange settings worked fine (copying them from the Vista machine that was working) - with the one change that I needed to use NTLM authentication in the Outlook Anywhere settings.

Thankfully my hosted Exchange provider supports NTLM, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do this.

Hope this helps someone out.

Cheers

John
    • Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:13 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Both hosting providers I use don't support NTLM - they say you would have to be on the same domain due to Microsoft limitations?

I could do with a fix for this rather quickly - it worked fine in Vista using Basic authentication..

Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Hi Psykix,

Your not on your own!  Got exactly the same issue with outlook 2007 and my hosted exchange solution on an x32 install, credentials not being accepted - works fine for OWA.

Cheers
    Phil
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:25 AM
  • I have the same problems with my Exchange Server. I installed my server certificate, all settings are correct, but when i try to login, it brings me back the auth window.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Folks it looks as we have a duplicate Forum going...check mine out  Windows 7 Outlook 2007 w/ Exchange 2007 Connection Problems and see if they are one in the same as it appears to be to me and maybe more heads together can figure out better specifics and get it working for all.

Phil
    Friday, January 16, 2009 2:13 AM