Direct users to 365 site from Office online server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We adopted 365 recently but our SharePoint still direct users to the Office online server in the farm rather than 365. I recall a consultant saying that once we go to 365, we can retire the OOS server in our farm and direct folks to 365. I also recall it was a matter of just changing something in a config file. Can anyone help with this change?

Thanks

Friday, June 19, 2020 5:46 PM

Answers

• Your content needs to be migrated to SharePoint Online/OneDrive for Business before it will open in Office on the web. SharePoint Server cannot use Office on the web.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, June 19, 2020 8:58 PM

All replies

• Your content needs to be migrated to SharePoint Online/OneDrive for Business before it will open in Office on the web. SharePoint Server cannot use Office on the web.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, June 19, 2020 8:58 PM
  • We aren't ready to migrate our sites and libraries to the 365 services just yet, I just want to be done with the Office online server for the time being. Are you saying best to just wait until we are fully migrated? Thanks.

Friday, June 19, 2020 9:45 PM
  • You can remove OOS at any time, but you will lose document previews/web-based viewing and editing.

Trevor Seward

Friday, June 19, 2020 11:05 PM
  • Hi EllisDS,

If you are using SharePoint server 2016, you will need Office Online Server in the SharePoint farm to open Office documents online.

To use Office Online in Microsoft 365, the contents need to be store online/in Microsoft 365 as well. As Trevor states, Office Online in Microsoft 365 cannot be used by SharePoint on-premises.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 22, 2020 2:43 AM
  • Hi EllisDS,

If you find any reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer. 

It will do great help to those who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, June 29, 2020 1:29 AM