[Answered] Windows Sidebar bug (false alarm) RRS feed

• Question

• Just wanted to report this, not sure if already has been reported:

If you undock a gadget from the Windows Sidebar and right click on a empty space and choose "Close Sidebar" (minimizes to tray)
    Then I right click on the tray icon (or double click it) and choose "Bring Gadgets to Front" the sidebar remains minimized to tray, it wont maximize Tongue Tied

The only way it will restore, is if i close the undocked gadget and repeat step 2
    Monday, April 21, 2008 7:26 PM

Answers

• The 'Bring gadgets to front' is only used if you have another application window open and you want to view the Sidebar and detached gadgets on top of the current application window.

If you want to maximize the Sidebar and have it visible on the Desktop again, use the 'Open' item on the right click menu from the tray.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:34 PM

All replies

• The 'Bring gadgets to front' is only used if you have another application window open and you want to view the Sidebar and detached gadgets on top of the current application window.

If you want to maximize the Sidebar and have it visible on the Desktop again, use the 'Open' item on the right click menu from the tray.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:34 PM
  • I stand corrected Stick out tongue
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:37 PM
  • That context menu can be a bit misleading. Smile

You need to go back to my first reply and mark the 'Answered' box, so others will know there's a solution in the thread.

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:41 PM
  • I did
    Monday, April 21, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Rick

I don't see the 'Answered' icon on the message? I think all you did was append the subject with the word 'answered' ?

It's important to use the 'answered' check box because this will change the behavior of the message. If someone searches for 'sidebar' or gadget', the messages with the 'answered' icon will appear first in the results. Also, if someone chooses to view only messages with the 'answered' attribute, this thread will not appear. Only the originator of the thread can select that box.

Thanks.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:55 PM
  • AHA! I see it now, done... Its my 1st day Wink
    Monday, April 21, 2008 10:01 PM
  • The reason I was confused and thought it was a bug is: if you close sidebar (to tray) & dont have any gadgets undocked and you double click the tray icon (wich Brings Gadgets to Front) it will maximze the windows sidebar

Only when a gadget is undocked this does not happen

So now you see why I thought it was a bug in the first place

Also I wanted to thank you so... THANK YOU! for your assistance
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:29 AM