add hardware in control panel RRS feed

• Question

• the above switch in the control panel is contineously in operation. On trying to  load hardware a message is shown,"you can only load one item at one time", the wizard is in use.This is incorrect nothing is being loaded> this prevents me loading any hardware.I am using Vista premium. Your help would be welcome. lolleypop
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:46 PM

Answers

•  

Hi lolleypop,

Thank you for the post.

Before we go any further, please help confirm the following three points: 

1. When did the issue begin to occur? Can the Add Hardware function work before?

2. Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

3. What hardware device are you trying to add? Does any of them not work properly?

Please understand the issue can be caused by hardware or third-party programs conflics.

First please remove all unnecessary hardware devices such as USB devices and then install the device you would like to add.

If the issue persists, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the result.

How to perform a Clean Boot:

========================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the result.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

If the issue still hasn't been resolved and the Add Hardware function did work before, we can try a System Restore to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred.

System Restore can be accessed from Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools.

After perfuming a System Restore, please check if the issue has been resolved. If it persists, I suggest testing the issue in a new account.

Create a New User Account:

========================

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage Use Accounts.

5. Click Create a new account, and type a name for it.

6. Choose account type as Administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

What’s the result in the new account?

If the error still appears, please help confirm the following three points: 

1. When did the issue begin to occur? Can the Add Hardware function work?

2. Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

3. What hardware device are you trying to add? Does any of them not work properly?

Meanwhile, please send me the screenshot of the error message and System Information for further research.

How to capture a screenshot:

===========================

1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click Start, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

How to collect System Information:

=============================

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

Please send the above files to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

add hardware in control panel

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2393564&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:56 AM

All replies

•  

Hi lolleypop,

Thank you for the post.

Before we go any further, please help confirm the following three points: 

1. When did the issue begin to occur? Can the Add Hardware function work before?

Please understand the issue can be caused by hardware or third-party programs conflics.

First please remove all unnecessary hardware devices such as USB devices and then install the device you would like to add.

If the issue persists, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test the result.

How to perform a Clean Boot:

========================

1. Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the result.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

If the issue still hasn't been resolved and the Add Hardware function did work before, we can try a System Restore to restore the system to a state before the issue occurred.

System Restore can be accessed from Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools.

After perfuming a System Restore, please check if the issue has been resolved. If it persists, I suggest testing the issue in a new account.

Create a New User Account:

========================

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage Use Accounts.

5. Click Create a new account, and type a name for it.

6. Choose account type as Administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

What’s the result in the new account?

If the error still appears, please help confirm the following three points: 

1. When did the issue begin to occur? Can the Add Hardware function work?

Meanwhile, please send me the screenshot of the error message and System Information for further research.

How to capture a screenshot:

===========================

1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click Start, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

How to collect System Information:

=============================

The System Information can provide us with more information about the current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send it to me using the following steps:

1. Click Start, type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start the System Information.

2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save", type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click “Desktop” on the left pane, and click Save.

Please send the above files to SCEDATA@microsoft.com.

Note: Please include the following three lines in the email body:

add hardware in control panel

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2393564&SiteID=17

Tim Quan - MSFT

Also, please post a quick note in the current thread to inform me after sending the email.

Thanks.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 5:56 AM
  •  

Hi lolleypop,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 16, 2007 1:27 AM