Nvidia 7300... Can't find enough free resources? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok... This is utterly bizzare.

I've got a motherboard (Gigabyte K8N51GMF-9) that comes with a GeForce 6100 onboard chip. It also has the bad taste to take up 128 MB of RAM. So, I went out and bought myself an eVGA GeForce 7300 GS with 256 MB of onboard memory.

Previously, the onboard 6100 worked well enough - with the occasional flash issue. Now, with the 7300 installed, the advanced features are disabled.

Popping open the Device Manger, I come to find that there's a yellow caution icon and an error message:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Now then, according to the online KB, Microsoft says this is because another device is using the same I/O port, IRQ or DMA channel (or a combination of any of the three). Or the BIOS didn't allocate enough resources for the device. Microsoft's KB suggest running a troubleshooter (under XP, general tab) to fix the issue. Vista (5384) doesn't have anything like this and the only thing the Check For Solutions button does is send an error report to MS.

The plot thickens... I have been able to successfully install the same card on the same machine while running Windows XP (XP, Vista 32 and Vista 64 are on different drives installed on this machine) so I don't think it's a question of the BIOS' allocation of memory nor do I see it as a conflict of resources as it runs GREAT under XP.

The MSInfo utility doesn't seem to mention the video card directly. The only thing that remotely sounds like a video card in the conflicting hardware arena would be something called "VGASave"

One final piece of the puzzle - since BOTH cards are NVidia products, they use the same driver kit - 88.61 available from Nvidia.com and most likely use the same drivers. The onboard video IS disabled as best as possible. I've set the onboard chip to only be enabled if there is no external PEG installed and I have onboard memory allocation disabled.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this up and running?

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 10:43 AM

Answers

• I do believe I've figured this one out...

I looked up VGASAVE and it turns out that it's a feature in Windows that's sort of like the old default VGA drivers that Windows would fall back on - only a bit more capable because VGASAVE can do greater than 640x480 or 800x600 and can do more than 16 colors. Also found that disabling VGASAVE is a very BAD idea - your next reboot will have NO video at all.

My board came with the F2 BIOS rev. I popped over to Gigabyte's page and found they're up to the F7 version. One thing that grabbed my attention in the description for the F7 update:

"BIOS can disable onboard graphic when Nvidia 7950 GX2 is installed and CMOS Setup item "Onboard GPU" is [Enable If No Ext PEG]."

Given the 7300 based cards are more or less in the same family as the 7950 series, I figured it couldn't hurt to upgrade the BIOS and it could easily fix this issue.

I grabbed the Windows based BIOS flashing utility with the F7 revision. Just to be on the safe side, I booted into XP and flashed it from there. After rebooting into Vista - it found the card, the driver magically was able to load and whatever conflict was resolved. Vista's back with full on AERO effects and I now have the full GB of memory.

So, I would say the fix for this issue is to make sure your motherboard has the latest flash update or at least F7 (in case they slip in an F8 in the mean time).

The BIOS flash update can be had at: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1939&ProductName=GA-K8N51GMF-9

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 8:27 PM

All replies

• I'm getting exactly the same problem, same mainboard and videochipset.  It looks like the resources the card is being assigned overlap with a PCI bridge - not something you can easily disable to free anything up!

I've used the Problem Report form to send this one in to MS, guess we'll have to see what they think - I may try removing the 7300GT and running the onboard 6100 chipset to see if it gets round the issue...

Monday, August 7, 2006 11:39 AM
  • I do believe I've figured this one out...

I looked up VGASAVE and it turns out that it's a feature in Windows that's sort of like the old default VGA drivers that Windows would fall back on - only a bit more capable because VGASAVE can do greater than 640x480 or 800x600 and can do more than 16 colors. Also found that disabling VGASAVE is a very BAD idea - your next reboot will have NO video at all.

My board came with the F2 BIOS rev. I popped over to Gigabyte's page and found they're up to the F7 version. One thing that grabbed my attention in the description for the F7 update:

"BIOS can disable onboard graphic when Nvidia 7950 GX2 is installed and CMOS Setup item "Onboard GPU" is [Enable If No Ext PEG]."

Given the 7300 based cards are more or less in the same family as the 7950 series, I figured it couldn't hurt to upgrade the BIOS and it could easily fix this issue.

I grabbed the Windows based BIOS flashing utility with the F7 revision. Just to be on the safe side, I booted into XP and flashed it from there. After rebooting into Vista - it found the card, the driver magically was able to load and whatever conflict was resolved. Vista's back with full on AERO effects and I now have the full GB of memory.

So, I would say the fix for this issue is to make sure your motherboard has the latest flash update or at least F7 (in case they slip in an F8 in the mean time).

The BIOS flash update can be had at: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1939&ProductName=GA-K8N51GMF-9

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 8:27 PM
  • Thanks for investigating, Wolfie.

That F7 bios update is a definite fix, must have been some glitch in Gigabyte's code for PCI resource management that left bits of the onboard chipset hogging things.

Cheers for the resolution, my 7300GT is now powering the nifty new Aero desktop nicely. ;-)

Saturday, August 12, 2006 11:07 PM
  •  Blackavar13 wrote:

Thanks for investigating, Wolfie.

That F7 bios update is a definite fix, must have been some glitch in Gigabyte's code for PCI resource management that left bits of the onboard chipset hogging things.

Cheers for the resolution, my 7300GT is now powering the nifty new Aero desktop nicely. ;-)

That's JUST it, it's NOT entirely a glitch in Gigabyte's code. The card functioned perfectly well under BIOS rev F2 when running Windows XP Pro. Only when I rebooted the PC into Vista did the glitch occur. It's a combination of the beta drivers from Nvidia AND the BIOS code.

At least the F7 rev seems to have dealt with the issue.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:58 AM
  • i have a dfi infinity sli with an nf4 sli chipset, an amd athlon x2 3800+ @2.6 ghz and two 6600GT's...SLI worked great in xp sp2 but vista, despite the nvidia drivers, gives me the same error: This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). in the nvidia control panel i don`t have the set sli configuration option. i don`t have a GB motherboard so it must be something more...please if you come across any generic resolution reply. also my cpu is oc`ed from 2 ghz to 2.6 ghz. vista and dxdiag detects it as being @ 2.0 ghz. vista's test results are exactly the same at 2 ghz and at 2.6 ghz. but cpu-z for instance, detects my cpu at 2.6 and the cpu mark score indicate that it is in fact oc`ed...any ideas? i mean could this be a bad thing?
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 4:00 PM
  • Well... First off, visit DFI's site and make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS. This would be my recommendation regardless of who made the motherboard.

Secondly... I'm not 100% sure, but there may still be an issue with Vista and SLI configurations. Make sure you've got the latest and greatest Vista beta drivers from nVidia - that goes for both the video card and the motherboard. There may be something within one of the various drivers that may be causing the conflict.

In my case, the problem was the onboard video was not being disabled 100% by the BIOS - hence the conflict. I'm not entirely sure what the problem on your system is - given I can't seem to get to get information on any Infinity motherboards on DFI's site. I just get a blank page. So I'm not quite sure if your motherboard has onboard video or not. Either way, I'd make sure all the drivers and patches are up to date.

Now... As far as the overclocking not being recognized... You say the default stock speed for that chip is 2.0 GHz? And Vista and DXDiag all see it as such - even tho you've got it bumped up to 2.6 GHz. But other apps like CPU-Z see it as overclocked.

I'm no insider, but if I had to make a guess, Vista and DXDiag probably aren't actually testing the chip's speed. It's probably looking at the CPU's identifier that's used to identify the hardware and seeing that, it's going to assume (incorrectly) that the chip is running at the default clock speed for THAT chip. CPU-Z, on the other hand, actually gets it's proverbial hands dirty, clocks the chip and reports what it finds. At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much about it - as long as you've got the chip's temperature under control, and everything is running stable, that is.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:57 AM
  • Hello Wolfie. Thanks for replying.

The strange thing is that vista's built-in drivers find the two 6600GTs and install them accordingly, but give me this error. nVidia drvers act the same way, so that's why i doubt that it's a driver-related problem. I don't have onboard video on my MB...And I aso don't have the latest BIOS...but winflash doesn't want to start; it says that the onboard BIOS is not an AWARD BIOS...it worked fine under XP though...anyway i'll try to run winflash in compatibility mode and pray not to mess up my BIOS this way...

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:35 PM
  • Ok... so your motherboard doesn't sport an onboard video card. That eliminates the issue that we had with the GB motherboards.

I'm also guessing by what you posted that you don't have a second hard drive or partition with XP installed on it. I know it's a hassle - but it might be a good idea to install XP on a second, spare hard drive (one you can remove or reuse later) and run the WinFlash utility from there just to make sure you're safe. Vista's security may be better, but it may also cause problems. Not sure if running it in compatibility mode will solve much of anything. No sense messing up your motherboard if you can avoid it.

The problem we faced with the GB motherboard wasn't so much a  driver issue as it was a combination of drivers and the BIOS. As I posted before, the drivers loaded correctly under XP with the older F2 BIOS rev. but it didn't work under Vista.

I'm wondering if, for some strange reason, both of your video cards are trying to occupy the same memory space hence the error.  

Thursday, November 16, 2006 8:31 PM
  • Hey,

I've also got an problem with my Nvidia Geforce 7300GT (128bit pciexpress) on windows Vista, It ran sweet ojn XP sp2.

My Config is a Stock Apple Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.0Ghz with this videocard and i recieve a Code 12.

I've got the most recent EFI BIOS installed and got the most recent Nvidia Drivers Installed. Any idears

Greets Boris

Tuesday, January 2, 2007 4:34 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same problem here: Sony XL202 with Nvidia 7600GTL. No problems under XP. With Vista the can't find enough free resources problem.

Any solutions ?

Leon

Thursday, January 4, 2007 1:40 PM
  • I Have just installed a new sound card on my computer, it comes up with a code 12 and i have no idea of how to resolve it....as another resul of this my internet on that computer is also down! anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
    Thursday, January 4, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Hello,

Same problem here too. HP dc7600, plus Geforce 6600 PCI Express card.  System and hardware all resourced perfectly under Windows XP, however Video card can't find enough free resources under Vista Enterprise.

Was planning a large scale deployment (700+) of Vista Enterprise, however it is now on hold indefinitely - which means we probably won't upgrade to Office 2007 either.

This is very frustrating.  Someone needs to come up with a generic solution, and an explanation as to why it is fine under XP, but not Vista.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Hi Leon,

I have the XL202 as well and experience the same problem. Could you please notify me, should you find a solution? I will do the same for you.

Thanks,

J

Friday, January 19, 2007 11:47 AM
  • Xorppa, I have the exact same issue, did you find any resolution? I disabled the x16 pcie port and it will allow the video card to work in vgasave mode, but I haven't found anything more than that.

Let me know if you come up with a solution.
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 1:55 PM
  • Nope, There doesnt seem to be a solution, perhaps apple will release a patch for their bootcamp software providing a solution, till then, its xp for me,Boris
    Thursday, January 25, 2007 2:47 PM
  • I had the same problem with Vista.  My motherboard has onboard graphics (ATI X200); when I installed a new PCIE card (ATI 1650pro), I got the message about the device not finding enough free resources.  Finally, I was able to solve the problem by enabling "surroundview" in the advanced chipset features section of my motherboard's bios; the next time I booted up, everything was perfect and the video card properly recognized.  Hope this works for you.
    Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Nope, becouse my BIOS is an EFI bios, witch has NO control panel (as far as i know)
    Saturday, January 27, 2007 11:22 AM
  • Same problem    ....    I have a DFI NF4 SLI motherboard with two PCI-E MSI 7900 GTO graphics cards linked with an SLI bridge.      I installed Vista Home Premium x86 last week and only one of my gfx cards will function now.     I get  'Code 12'  on the other.   Everything was fine under XP. 

I have the latest formally released nVidia drivers installed.  I've checked the DFI and MSI sites but neither of them have drivers for my Windows product.  I already have the latest DFI BIOS update which was released over a year ago.

I'm at a loss to decide whether the problem lies with my graphics cards or my motherboard but, based on the discussions on this thread, my best guess would be the BIOS resource allocation conflicting with Vista.  I have written to DFI but have not received a response yet.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 1:05 PM
  • Thursday, February 8, 2007 6:40 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with two nNvidia 6200 cards, one is AGP, the other PCI-E. The AGP card is the one that fails. It's not a problem with the drivers, specifically, I've tried even the very latest 100.49. Upgrading the drivers won't help, but re-installing them will fix the problem under XP (as the KB correctly suggests).

Under XP, I was able to do the following to get it to work: install drivers normally and boot, then open the device manager and left click on the card with the exclamation mark and then select uninstall. It should launch the nVidia installer, which will remove the drivers. Then, reinstall the drivers immediately and restart. You then need to enable your other monitor(s) in the "Display" control panel.

This worked for me under XP, but it's not working under Vista. What kind of motherboard / BIOS do you have? I'm using an ASUS P5VDC-X... ASUS just released a BIOS update that is supposed to address this specific issue, but it doesn't appear to work. In the BIOS, Plug and Play OS is set to "Yes", but that doesn't appear to make a difference. All AGP settings are left at their defaults / recommended settings. I didn't mess with the IRQ assignments, that shouldn't be necessary. One idea is to use a utility that allows you to view the IRQ / DMA allocations for your devices, so if you know of anything like this, let me know.
    If you find any solutions how to fix this under Vista, please let me know, thanks! I really don't wanna have to buy another video card.

-------------------------
    Patrick
    http://inmyholyopinion.com
    Monday, February 12, 2007 10:14 PM
  • I didn't found this thread directly so I already launched another one that might be related it's http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1240159&SiteID=17 

Cheers,

Willem

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Hi there,

Did this help you with your mac? I have Mac Pro with nVidia Geforece 7300GT & running Windows XP, got Win Vista & want to run it on same computer & have problem with graphic. Is it same solution?

Friday, March 16, 2007 11:23 PM
  • I've found out my problem, i run a mac pro,

On MAC PRO's the solution is buying extra ram, it does not run on 1gb of fb-ram and a 7300

Greets
    Boris
    Monday, March 19, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Hi Boris

I have a Mac Pro and would like to run Vista.  I have installed it, and I have the same error you mentioned.  How can extra RAM fix this problem?  How did you discover this fix?

Many Thanks
    Lars

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:15 PM
  • I have the same issue but in XP. I bought a 4 new 7300GS cards for 4 IBM Thinkstations that has intel chipset and onboard video (915GM i think). The thinkstations are all different models. When the 7300GSis installed the device manager reports code 12, the only thing conflicting I can see is memory overlaps with the intel PCI-E controller.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:11 AM
  • Sorry to bump this but I found something that might help. I also was getting this error in XP and Vista with my newly purchased 7600 GS AGP card. I tried just about everything to get it to work and was about to give up. On a whim I tried adjusting my AGP aperature setting from 128MB to 256MB because the new card had more memory. Amazingly, it worked. If you have any AGP aperture settings in your BIOS, try switching them around.

I doubt it'll help those with PCI-E cards but for those with AGP it's something to try.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 7:50 PM
  • I've got what looks like the same problem. My computer is a Shuttle SN27P2V10 circa late 2006, with an Athlon 5200 processor and Nvidia 7900GS video card. Everything works beautifully fine under XP, but Windows 7 will not recognize the card.

I've upgraded all drivers except re-flashing the BIOS, since the only later bios files are dated about 2 months after mine (which is to say, really late 2006 or early 2007), and the descriptions for the bios fixes seem to reference trivial things unrelated to video or IO or IRQs and such. (I'm also a bit scared to flash the bios in case I lose the whole machine).

The Nvidia guys say the card should work, and to their credit they have made many suggestions (mostly "run this program to dump these tech specs" for their tech guys to study (I guess), and "upgrade all your drivers, here are several sets to try (working backwards toward 2006). So it's been a good experience working with Nvidia support, for sure.

But nothing works. Tried all sorts of variations on CMOS and BIOS settings under Win7 (Vista), but nothing works. Even when Win7 automatically fetches and installs its own versions of the Nvidia drivers from the net, the card doesn't get recognized. So my machine runs on "VgaSave" right now under Win7.

I sure wish someone had an answer for all the people on this thread. Vista/Win7 must do something quite different in the card recognition process.
    • Proposed as answer by T.Q. _ Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:03 AM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:13 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with my machine.  I had a 9600 GT and it was working perfectly fine, then I try to replace it with a GT 240 and got the message of "code 12" not enough resource.  I remove all the video drivers, nothing doing.  Computer still doesn't see the GT 240.  But the minute I place the 9600 back in, the system detect it perfectly fine.  At first I thought the 240 was bad or that something is wrong with my BIOS.  Then it hit me like a rock.  The problem wasn't the BIOS or the video card. 

The problem has to do with the assign memory.  My mother board could only handle max. RAM of 4G, which is what I got.  But you don't get all 4G of RAM because other devices needs to also allocate memory from the same bus.  Therefore if you have a 500MB video card, the max. RAM you're going to get is 3.5G even if you have 4G physically.  If you have a sound card the same will need to be subtract from your total RAM.  Well to make a long story short, my 9600 was 500MB, where as my 240 was 1G, hence my RAM was allocating all the resources and for some strange reason it's willing to let go off .5G, for my 9600, but not 1G, for my 240.  So the solution was easy, I removed 1.5G of RAM and guess what, everything works fine.  Then I added another .25G, now I have a total of 2.75G of RAM and 1G video card.  In a sense I loose nothing because I was going to loose 1G of memory anyway to the video card, but my system just forces me to remove the physical unused portion.

I hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by T.Q. _ Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:44 AM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:43 AM
  • you can reference http://www.udtek.com

maybe it can give you some help
    Friday, February 26, 2010 9:12 AM
  • 1. Go to Start Menu-All Programs-Accessories,then right-click Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

2. Enter: bcdedit /set CONFIGACCESSPOLICY DISALLOWMMCONFIG

3. Restart your PC

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:52 PM