none
When using wusa.exe to install MSU update package and enabling logging using the /log switch, what format are the log files in? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been installing a number of hotfixes for Windows 7 using MSU files and the wusa.exe utility included in Windows. I thought it would be a good idea to generate separate log files for each update as it was installed since wusa.exe now supports this option using /log:<file name>. However, the log files created do not seem to be regular text files or any other log file format that I immediately recognize. When opened in Notepad or Wordpad you can see that they contain a lot of additional binary data which can't be read by a regular text viewer.

Does anyone know what format these log files are in? What tool should you use to read them?

Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:59 PM

Answers

• Does anyone know what format these log files are in? What tool should you use to read them?

You have to read them with the EventViewer.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Olsson Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:30 PM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• Does anyone know what format these log files are in? What tool should you use to read them?

You have to read them with the EventViewer.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Olsson Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:30 PM
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Thank you. I was on the verge of trying to open them with Event Viewer earlier but for some reason I didn't.
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Did the event viewer work for you?  Were you on W7 64-bit?
    ITForever
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Yes, I managed to open the log files in Event Viewer. I think I only tried opening the log files on Windows 7 32-bit although I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work equally well on 64-bit. However I decided not to generate any log files as part of the deployment as it seems a bit cumbersome to use event log files for this purpose.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 8:44 PM
  • For example, if the Windows6.0-KB934307-x86.msu file is in the D:\934307 folder, I would use something like the following:

D:\934307\Windows6.0-KB934307-x86.msu /quiet /norestart /log:D:\934307\Windows6.0-KB934307-x86.evtx

The switch "/log:DriveLetter:PathToLogFile\LogfileName.evtx" tells the OS to use eventviewer [using file-type association (I think?)] to open the .evtx log gerenerated by wusa.

Friday, September 6, 2013 9:18 PM
  • I have been installing a number of hotfixes for Windows 7 using MSU files and the wusa.exe utility included in Windows. I thought it would be a good idea to generate separate log files for each update as it was installed since wusa.exe now supports this option using /log:<file name>. However, the log files created do not seem to be regular text files or any other log file format that I immediately recognize. When opened in Notepad or Wordpad you can see that they contain a lot of additional binary data which can't be read by a regular text viewer.

Does anyone know what format these log files are in? What tool should you use to read them?

Only Microsoft can manage to design something as stupid as this. If you start wusa from the command line, it pops up the alternative command line switches. For log, it just says: " /log     - installer will enable logging". It doesn't say that you should specify the log file name, hence not HOW you specify it (" /log:<path\filename>.") It doesn't say what extension to use for the file, alas which file type it is (" /log:<path\filename.evtx>."). You open it in notepad, you cannot read it. You open it in sccm's cmtrace.exe/trace32.exe, you get nothing. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO IMPLEMENT THIS IN A WORSE WAY. How can something be so bad? How can Microsoft get such stupidity inhouse, when you need to go through six interviews or something to get in?? I cannot believe it - unfortunely, this is seen again and again. 
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:53 AM
  • What a poor design for an installer! Consider all the different deployment software out there that gather text logs and report back to the deployment server. All broken because of this log format. Silly really.
    Monday, October 13, 2014 3:08 PM
  • I had the same problem.
    simply adding the parameter /log created two files in my current working directory "wusa.etl" & "wusa.etl.dpx" - based on this I think the log format should be:  /log:<path\filename.etl> not evtx
    • Edited by MK-Maddin Friday, December 2, 2016 8:58 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Maybe, but etl is not a registered file type.  If you use EVT and double-click to read the file, at least you can view it (opens Event Viewer).  Even so, it takes half a minute to render, which is off-putting.  It gets there in the end.
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:56 AM