Link subtask start and due dates and progress to parent task? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to automatically populate the subtask Start and Due dates from the parent task? For our purposes they should always at least beging with the same dates, and it seems redundant to have to select them again in each subtask. Can it be done with a workflow?

Also, I would like the "% Complete" and "Completed" for the parent task to update accordingly depending on the status of the subtasks (i.e., if there are 10 subtasks and 5 are complete, the parent should show as 50% complete, and when all subtasks are complete it should show as "50%" and "Complete"). Could this also be done with workflows?

Dave Englund

• Edited by dbe6347wf Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:12 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

From your description, you want the sub task get its parent task’s Start and Due date, also when the sub task is completed, “%complete” of parent task will be changed.

Per my test, it can achieve via SharePoint 2013 Designer workflow. Here are my steps:

First in parent task list, I create 3 column: sub count (Number), complete sub count (Number) and complete/sub (Calculated = complete sub count/sub count, show as percentage).

In sub task list, I create a Lookup column (its parent) to lookup its parent task.

On sub task list, there are 2 workflows.

For the first one, make it start when new items created, it will do 3 actions: get Start and Due date from parent task, and make sub count +1 in parent task list:

For the second one, make it start when items changed, when a sub task is completed, it will make complete sub count +1 in parent task list:

Pay attention to the Find the List item in red square, it is necessary for each action to find the corresponding value.

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 9:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

From your description, you want the sub task get its parent task’s Start and Due date, also when the sub task is completed, “%complete” of parent task will be changed.

Per my test, it can achieve via SharePoint 2013 Designer workflow. Here are my steps:

First in parent task list, I create 3 column: sub count (Number), complete sub count (Number) and complete/sub (Calculated = complete sub count/sub count, show as percentage).

In sub task list, I create a Lookup column (its parent) to lookup its parent task.

On sub task list, there are 2 workflows.

For the first one, make it start when new items created, it will do 3 actions: get Start and Due date from parent task, and make sub count +1 in parent task list:

For the second one, make it start when items changed, when a sub task is completed, it will make complete sub count +1 in parent task list:

Pay attention to the Find the List item in red square, it is necessary for each action to find the corresponding value.

Best regards,

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 22, 2016 9:59 AM
  • I know it very old topic.

But what do you mean "In sub task list, I create a Lookup column (its parent) to lookup its parent task."

Is it possible to have some screenshot?

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 4:44 PM