none
Project Owner can't update Project Details Page RRS feed

• Question

• We are using the default SharePoint Permissions mode with Project Server 2013.

If I go to a project and update the Owner field to be a different user, that user isn't able to edit the PDP.  The only way I can get them to be able to edit the PDP is by also adding them to the Project Managers for Project Web App security group, or by adding them to the project site Owners security group.

Is this really a requirement that to be able to use the Owners field to set a PM, I have to also add them to the Project Managers for Project Web App security group?  That seems redundant.

If that is the case, will their membership in that SP security group affect their permissions on any other projects they are a team member of?  I have had a hard time finding good detailed documentation around SharePoint Permissions mode for Project Server 2013.

Thanks,

Scott

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 11:32 AM

Answers

• As per the previous post, this is functioning as designed. Being a project owner does not grant security rights. Perhaps you might want to consider Project Server permissions mode? Hint: The really nice thing about SP Permissions mode is that you can create and AD group for each Project Server security group in SharePoint and an then add the AD group to the SharePoint security group and then you do not need to manage access individually in PWA.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:40 PM

All replies

• As per the previous post, this is functioning as designed. Being a project owner does not grant security rights. Perhaps you might want to consider Project Server permissions mode? Hint: The really nice thing about SP Permissions mode is that you can create and AD group for each Project Server security group in SharePoint and an then add the AD group to the SharePoint security group and then you do not need to manage access individually in PWA.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:40 PM
  • Thanks for confirming this Gary.

We've been considering switching security modes, but most resources I find say try and make SP mode work first because it is so much more simple.

The headache I'm running into is that I haven't seen many resources about using SP mode, so we are having to figure everything out by trial and error.

Thanks,

Scott

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:27 PM