Outlook search is not working consistence. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I open a PST in Outlook.  I highlight a subfolder, do a CTRL-SHIFT-F to Advance find, I am looking for a message and specifying a the particular, enter a search phase with quote back and end, I am not able to find anything. 

I am able to find phrases sometimes but it is just not consistence.  

Please advise if anything is missed.  

Thanks

• Edited by EdKC Friday, May 24, 2019 3:24 PM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi EdKC,

Do you type the phrase in “Search for the word” box?

Please first make sure the phrase you are typing is correct. We can also directly search in the Search box using the same phase with quotes?

Does it happen to specific PST file? In case there was something wrong with this data file, please repair it to see the result.

Reference: Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost)

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:23 AM
    Monday, May 27, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Hi EdKC,

How is everything going on with this issue? Can you search normally now?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:24 AM
  • It seems like I am able to look for the pharases.  Thank you. 

I also need to list out emails that contain particular sender email address or sender mail domain.  How do I do it?  

I follow way as suggested in the screenshot in this chain, and put for example, "shoretel.com", it does not return anything.  

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 1:59 PM
  • Hi EDKC,

>>I also need to list out emails that contain particular sender email address or sender mail domain.  How do I do it? 

Normally, Outlook will search display name of senders instead of email address.

For particular sender, you can directly search via his display name.

We cannot directly search by domain. However, according to my research, we can create a search folder to show all emails from a specific domain. (This also works if you want to search specific sender’s address)

Please check this article: How To Create A Search Folder By A Specific Email Domain Name In Outlook?

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:16 AM
  • Hi EDKC,

Just check if the information is helpful to you.

If yes, it's recommended to mark it as answer which will benefit other forum users who read this thread.

Thank you for your understanding and support!

Regards,

Perry

Monday, June 3, 2019 4:16 AM