none
Unable to change from public to private network in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Help! The IRS says I am attempting to transmit my return via Turbo Tax on an unsecured network. This did not happen last year on same computer and network. After spending hours on phone with Turbo Tax, my service provider and my Anti Virus software, everyone assures me my network is secure and it is the "Public" classification in my computer settings. When I set the computer up last year I specifically remembered selecting "Private" network and I had no problem filing my taxes weeks after I set up this computer. Now when I attempt to change the network type, (I have tried several ways to do this), the computer freezes when I click that button in settings. Has Windows 10 reset my network to public and locked me out of changing it?
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 1:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What version of your Windows 10?

The type of the network can be changed in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles\

Category:

0 = Public

1 = Private

Please be careful while working in the registry. Make sure you create a backup of Registry before you proceed.

In addition, if your version is 1607, you can also refer to this article.

How to change Windows 10 network location from Public to Private

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-windows-10-network-type-from-public-to-private

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 7, 2017 5:11 AM