Client version dilemma RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

We have a Configuration Manager 2012 RTM version in our environment. Recently it came to notice that there are multiple versions of client installed in the 5000+ workstations namely 5.00.7711.0000 and 5.00771.0301. I understand that the second version (*.0301) is for cumulative 2. My question here is:

1. Why are some workstations having the *.0301 version when the ccmsetp.exe present inside the Configuration manager folder(the setup I believe is used for client push installation) has the version *.0000. Is it because previously *.0301 version was used for installation?

2.Will there be any problem with the Client behavior or reporting in later stages due to presence of multiple versions in environment?

Thanks,

Friday, May 17, 2013 1:57 PM

All replies

• CU2 installation is not automatic and unless you've explicitly added the PATCH parameter to your installation properties (along with a path to the MSP for CU2), then client push will not install CU2.

I don't know how some of your clients were updated to CU2, but my guess is that you had a software deployment at one point that is no longer active.

There won't be an explicit issue in reporting, but you should upgrade your clients: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj553405.aspx

Also, is there a specific reason you haven't gone to SP1 yet?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:08 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for the reply.

We are planning to move to SP1 very soon. And I believe then again the client will get upgraded to the SP1 version 5.00.7804.1000

We have Automatically upgarde clients who are older than the version 5.0.7711.0 enabled in our environment.

So the upgradation will be automatic after I upgrade to SP1, right?

I have two questions regarding it:

1. Does Client upgradation follows the same process as client installation (like running the ccmsetup...). We already had a lot of issues with client push after RTM installation and don't want to go through the same pain of client installation again for the whole environment after the SP1 upgradation :(

2. After we upgrade to SP1 and till all the clients are upgraded to the latest version will the existing deployments suffer? (like version mismatch between MP and client etc)

Suggestions regarding the above concerns are welcome so that we can be well prepared before the SP1 upgradation.

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:09 AM
  • A few comments:

- The client upgrade feature in RTM is miserably broken -- I recommend you disable it. It was revamped and works great in SP1 though.

- Automatic Client upgrade in SP1 does run ccmsetup but it is not a full push; since the agent is already on the client, ccmsetup can simply initiate the "upgrade"

- As mentioned, automatic client upgrade is only for services packs (SPs), not cumulative updates (CUs)

- As long as the infrastructure upgrades properly, you will have no issues with version mismatch

(- "upgradation" is not an English word. Sorry, don't mean to pick on you for this, I've just seen it a lot in the forums and it makes me cringe a little. Simply "upgrade" is sufficient.)

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Thanks Jason for your valuable inputs on this issue! Things are more clear now.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:13 AM