ADFS sign-in error: "Incorrect user ID or password..." RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

We have configured SAML on our Tableau Server.  When an active directory user enters the active directory account into the log on screen of our Tableau portal, the AD user gets routed to the state ADFS sign-in page.   When the AD user signs in at the state ADFS page with their AD account and password, sometimes they get properly authenticated back into Tableau.  But intermittently other times, the AD user gets this error message on the ADFS sign-in page:  “Incorrect user ID or password.  Type the correct user ID and password, and try again.”  The ADFS server is administered at a separate state agency, so I can’t access the ADFS console or logs.  But if you have any recommendations on how and what to check in the logs, I can pass the guidance to the ADFS administrator.  I have no experience administering ADFS, since we don’t run that product locally.

Thanks,

Tully
    • Moved by Ajay Kadam Friday, June 15, 2018 5:26 AM better suited here than Azure AD
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hello -

Check the AD FS Admin event log for a start as well as the Security event log.

We do not have enough information to help you out more. Ask the contractor to join this thread :)

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Sunday, June 17, 2018 8:46 PM
  • Good morning,

This issue has been resolved.  The ADFS server administrator found an issue on the secondary ADFS server and he shutdown the services on it.  Unfortunately I don't have any further details on the solution, but fortunately the issue has been resolved since late Thursday (6/14/18) afternoon and seems to be resolved today since I can continue to authenticate into Tableau and ADFS without errors.

Thanks,

Tully

• Proposed as answer by Jorrk Wednesday, June 20, 2018 1:45 PM
    Monday, June 18, 2018 2:19 PM