none
Software Installation Policies Become Difficult To Trigger

Question

• With some of our Windows clients, we have started to have problems with software installation GPOs not triggering no matter how many times the workstation is rebooted unless we set a GPO to always wait for network.   It used to take no more than one extra reboot to enforce a software installation group policy assigned to a computer.

In the past, software installation would work if either a periodic background policy refresh interval elapsed, a manual gpupdate command was run or the systems rebooted once.  Now software installation won't start unless "always wait for network" is enabled and  "Startup policy processing wait time" is extended to 30 seconds or sometimes 1 minute or more.

Adding this extra wait time makes booting the workstations very slow (especially wireless laptops being used offsite) and wastes time when there is no software installation pending. 

Any ideas what could cause this new problem?

Are there any other GPO settings or network settings that should be enabled to optimize reliability of software installation GPOs working with minimal boot delays? 

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:04 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, this behavior may be related to the Fast Logon Optimization feature. Please see as below:

“Be aware that, because this is a background refresh, extensions such as Software Installation and Folder Redirection take two logons to apply changes.”

More information for you:

Description of the Windows Fast Logon Optimization feature

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/305293

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 8, 2016 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, I understand that you have problems with software installation GPOs not triggering. If my understanding is not correct, please feel free to let me know.

Before we go further, I would like to confirm the following questions:

========================================================

1. When did this issue start to occur? Before the issue happened, did you do any modifications?

2. Does this issue occur on other users? Please check if only the specific user is experiencing the issue or all the users are affected.

3. Would you please tell me if this is in a user configuration or a computer configuration?

If it is in the user configuration, does the user have rights (administrative) to install software on their PC?

If it's in the computer policy, have you granted domain computers read access to the share where the MSI is located? 

4. Have you tried using different software installation packages to have a test? Through this test, we could know if this issue is related with the software installation packages.

Since the software installation GPOs worked after enabling “always wait for network" and extending "Startup policy processing wait time" to 30 seconds or sometimes 1 minute or more.” We doubt that the issue occurred because the software installation did not have enough time to process at the startup.

Besides, about your question “Are there any other GPO settings or network settings that should be enabled to optimize reliability of software installation GPOs working with minimal boot delays?” Based on my experience, there is no such settings to meet your requirement.

If you already tried them or the issue remains after trying them, please don’t hesitate to tell me.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:15 AM
  • This is not for a particular user or computer.  The software installation policies are applied to computers and the policies do work, but as I said they no longer work reliably.

A software installation that doesn't work on the first or second or third reboot will end up working after the fourth or fifth or sixth reboot with no other changes made other than rebooting again.

It is is not one single software installation policy having the problem.  It is both new and old policies that worked consistently after one reboot up to a few months ago.

I feel like it is processing issue, because when the computers boot quickly, the software never installs.

We have a policy for "always wait for network," but even that policy doesn't kick in right away on new computers.  When the wait for network policy isn't enforced, the software doesn't get installed.  I can tell when the software is going to install because I see the lag while the computer waits for the network.

When there is no wait for network enforced, the software installation policies don't get enforced either.

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:21 AM
    Tuesday, December 29, 2015 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, this behavior may be related to the Fast Logon Optimization feature. Please see as below:

“Be aware that, because this is a background refresh, extensions such as Software Installation and Folder Redirection take two logons to apply changes.”

More information for you:

Description of the Windows Fast Logon Optimization feature

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/305293

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, January 8, 2016 8:24 AM