none
Project Server 2013 and email notifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Newbie's question: is it possible to set email notifications in Project Server 2013 without Exchange Server, just with gmail or hotmail? 

Is there somewhere a document for that?

Thanks

Friday, September 19, 2014 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Robert,

In addition to Guillaume's replies, I think it should work using 'other' SMTPs (Google, Hotmail, GoDaddy) but they will need to accept unauthenticated connections (usually on port 25). I remember I personally used one of GoDaddy's SMTPs some time ago but for something else not Project/SharePoint related and you should expect sometimes delays in delivering the emails and a limited number of emails.

I would check first with your network provider first and see if they have already an SMTP (or even try smtp.<domain> and see if it works) and if not, go down the route and find 3rd party providers

Hope this helps

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Friday, September 19, 2014 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert6156 Sunday, February 8, 2015 6:00 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

Here is the documentation for configuring email notifications. I might be wrong and it has to be tested but the destination email could be any email address, you just have to enter a gmail or hotmail address in the resource email field.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, September 19, 2014 12:07 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

So, how can I get the  SMTP mail server ? Is it my provider's SMTP Server? How can I get it?                      Thanks

Friday, September 19, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Hi Robert,

As mentionned in the article, for the SMTP mail server box, enter the server name, meaning the project server instance name.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, September 19, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Hi Robert,

In addition to Guillaume's replies, I think it should work using 'other' SMTPs (Google, Hotmail, GoDaddy) but they will need to accept unauthenticated connections (usually on port 25). I remember I personally used one of GoDaddy's SMTPs some time ago but for something else not Project/SharePoint related and you should expect sometimes delays in delivering the emails and a limited number of emails.

I would check first with your network provider first and see if they have already an SMTP (or even try smtp.<domain> and see if it works) and if not, go down the route and find 3rd party providers

Hope this helps

Paul

• Edited by PaulMarinescu Friday, September 19, 2014 4:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Robert6156 Sunday, February 8, 2015 6:00 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 4:51 PM