ntoskrnl.exe RRS feed

• Question

• BSOD - appears that ntoskrnl.exe is the cause - a search of my computer for this file shows that I have 27 such files - various sizes but some of the particular file sizes repeat.

1. how many versions of this file should I have - what is the right file size and where should it "live"

Thanks

Oops - yes - happens when Windows Media Center is running (only when)

Friday, September 5, 2014 1:56 AM

Answers

• Please share the original .dmp files. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:37 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

This file is a system component file, and system updates or added components will give it updated versions. You can see that this file can be located under winsxs\certain component name folder.

To analyze you BSOD issue, please upload the dump file here for our research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:00 AM

All replies

• Please share the original .dmp files. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 5, 2014 5:47 AM
  • Hi,

This file is a system component file, and system updates or added components will give it updated versions. You can see that this file can be located under winsxs\certain component name folder.

To analyze you BSOD issue, please upload the dump file here for our research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 8, 2014 9:00 AM