Update KB905866 failed, error code 80070490 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Microsoft Office 2007 on a Vista Ultimate 32 bit system.

I can not get the update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [May 2008] (KB905866) to install.  I have downloaded this update directly from microsoft as a stand alone file and it still won't install.  I have even uninstalled Office 2007.  When I did that, Windows Update showed a similiar update for Windows Mail (which I don't use).  I tried to install it and it would not install.  I then reinstalled office 2007 and ran windows update again.  It found 10 updates and everything installed fine except this same kb905866.

I did find a previous post, http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3207738&SiteID=17 titled "Update KB905866 failed, error 800B0100".  It was recommended to do the following:

Step 1 Register Windows Update component

============================

1. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

2. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator". If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Please enter the following command, and press enter.

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

You will get a "DllRegisterServer in wuaueng.dll succeeded" window.

4. Then, please move on to enter the following commands one by one. A success notification will be received after each command.

REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUX.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEBV.DLL

Step 2 Rename Windows Update Temporary folders

=================================

1. Click Start, in Start Search item, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

net stop wuauserv

net stop Cryptsvc

cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution

rd /s /q DataStore

ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start Cryptsvc

3. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "register.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the location.

4. Refer to the Desktop and right click the register.bat file, then choose Run as administrator.

5. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

Then try to install KB905866 again.

I tried this and it still gives me the same error.

I would appreciate any ideas that you can offer.

Thanks,

J. Poole

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:30 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

As KB905866 is included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), I recommend installing SP1 now.

Before we try to install Windows Vista SP1, please refer to the following article first:

Things to Know Before You Download Windows Vista SP1

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968895.aspx

Installing SP1 requires a minimum of 5 GB free disk space on the Windows partition. The recommended free disk space is as follows:

• 7 GB Recommended for 32-bit Windows Vista

• 12 GB Recommended for 64-bit Windows Vista

If your original system is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version preinstalled in the computer, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer before installing Windows Vista SP1. Please ask them if any of the software applications and hardware drivers need to be updated for Vista SP1. Otherwise, installing Vista SP1 may cause unexpected problems.

The installation may take more than 45 minutes, depending on the system. The system will reboot several times during the installation. Please do not turn off the power manually. If we are using a laptop, please connect it to the AC Power Adapter.

At this stage, I recommend downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in Normal Mode and installing it in Clean Boot Mode. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer

===================================================

1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to your System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/b/83b8c814-b000-44a4-b667-8c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Clear up Windows Update temporary folder

================================

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".

4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Step 3: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot mode

========================================

Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:44 AM

All replies

• J. Poole

You can go to that KB article to get the direct download for that file. Try to install this standalone file.

Description of the definition updates for Windows Mail:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905866

However, you said that you don't use Windows Mail, so I wouldn't worry about this update. In the Windows Update window, you can simply right click that update and select to hide it. You won't see it again, unless you unhide it.

If you continue to have problems with Windows Update, Microsoft offers No-Charge unlimited support for WU issues. Here is the link to that support.

Windows Update No-Charge Support:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:22 AM
  •  

Hi,

As KB905866 is included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1), I recommend installing SP1 now.

Before we try to install Windows Vista SP1, please refer to the following article first:

Things to Know Before You Download Windows Vista SP1

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968895.aspx

Installing SP1 requires a minimum of 5 GB free disk space on the Windows partition. The recommended free disk space is as follows:

• 7 GB Recommended for 32-bit Windows Vista

• 12 GB Recommended for 64-bit Windows Vista

If your original system is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version preinstalled in the computer, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer before installing Windows Vista SP1. Please ask them if any of the software applications and hardware drivers need to be updated for Vista SP1. Otherwise, installing Vista SP1 may cause unexpected problems.

The installation may take more than 45 minutes, depending on the system. The system will reboot several times during the installation. Please do not turn off the power manually. If we are using a laptop, please connect it to the AC Power Adapter.

At this stage, I recommend downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in Normal Mode and installing it in Clean Boot Mode. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer

===================================================

1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to your System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/b/83b8c814-b000-44a4-b667-8c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Clear up Windows Update temporary folder

================================

1. Close all the open windows.

2. Click the Start Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

3. Right-click "Command Prompt", and click "Run as administrator".

4. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

5. Click the Start Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in "%windir%" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

6. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

7. Right-click on the folder, select Rename and type "SDold" (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

8. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command "net start WuAuServ" (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

Step 3: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot mode

========================================

Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to use a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:44 AM
  • I've updated 39 Vista systems to SP1, except this one, a Dell D830 notebook, Vista Business (it's 4 sisters did just fine).

I was getting this error as well, nor could SP1 install via the update services, similar error.

I followed the above instructions to the letter, I got a popup window as the green bar reached 100%

An internal error occured while installing the service pack

Error code: 0x800736B3. See

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=101139 for details.

I find:

The following conditions are possible causes of this issue:

• The connection between your computer and Windows Update was interrupted when you tried to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). IT WAS DOWNLOADED
    • An application on your computer interfered with the installation of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1).  I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING UNUSUAL RUNNING, most things have been stopped.
    • The Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) setup files are corrupted. I JUST DOWNLOADED THEM, the file appears to be fine.
    • Multiple copies of the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Setup program were running at the same time. NOT THE CASE.

I'm working through the troubleshooting now. Any advice is appreciated.

Robert

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:00 PM