Problems with administrator on my work network. Logged out issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm helping out at work with the administrative duties for our network. Here is some problems I keep having:

1) I'll try and log into one of the employees  computers with my user name (non administrator username) and it says "only an admin or <insert user here> can log into this computer. Why is it doing this and how can I change it?

2) One of the employees here has locked her self out of her computer by entering her password wrong too many times, how do I unlock their account?

*I've tried logging into their machine as administrator to go to the users section to unlock but the computer keeps saying I'm entering the wrong name / password even though I'm clearly not.

3) I'm not sure how to access the exchange server from this admin work station, how can I do this? Also, how can I view or set privileges for other users (or take them away?)

4) Once I'm logged into the admin account, if I press "log off" or restart the computer I get the "you have been lockedout, please contact your system admin" message. Why is this and how can I fix it?

I realize these are total noob questions, I will really appreciate the help though.

Thanks so much,

Yoitsmebro

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:41 PM

All replies

• clear the security logs in in compmgmt.msc. computer management.

See if that helps with the log on of the nonadministrative user.

that computer seems to have other bogus problems as well, maybe you should dis join it from the domain and then rejoin it.

Requires some privileges in the domain.

To reset a password on a user accoun on a local machine you use computer management.

to do it on he domain account you have to use dsa.msc, with a user account that is authenticated as a proper authority under the domain.

Please do not forget to select the best answer if it helps you! The Ultimate computer newbie guide since the discovery of spoon feeding! The Computer Manual dot Com
    Friday, February 4, 2011 8:03 PM
  • 1) I'll try and log into one of the employees  computers with my user name (non administrator username) and it says "only an admin or <insert user here> can log into this computer. Why is it doing this and how can I change it?

This can happen for several reasons:

1. The computer is already logged on by another user (and locked), in order for someone else to log on to the PC (I'm assuming that this is joined to a domain) an admin has to log that person off.

2. A Group Policy Object (GPO) is in effect to only allow admins to log onto this machine.

3. A local security policy is in effect on the local machine to only allow admins to log onto that machine.

4. Local logs are full and not set to overwrite and/or is limited to a small size.

2) One of the employees here has locked her self out of her computer by entering her password wrong too many times, how do I unlock their account?

*I've tried logging into their machine as administrator to go to the users section to unlock but the computer keeps saying I'm entering the wrong name / password even though I'm clearly not.

Again, I am assuming that you're running a domain, access Active Directory Users & Computers (ADUC) - depending on your set up, you'll either access it straight of a domain controller (DC) or a machine with the admin pack installed.  Find the person's name, right click -> properties -> account tab and untick the "Account is locked out" option. 

Depending on the setup of your network, this may happen automatically after X amount of minutes/hours/days...

As for you entering the incorrect username/password, I don't have enough info.  This could be down to you trying to use a local username/password instead of a domain one (or vice versa), caps lock being on, it could be that the local PC actually does have a different username/password than the others, etc... 

3) I'm not sure how to access the exchange server from this admin work station, how can I do this? Also, how can I view or set privileges for other users (or take them away?)

To be honest it really does depend on the rights that have been allocated to you; you may be able to do remote sessions via rdp, you may use the Exchange console (you install this on your machine).  You can set attributes from either the rdp session or the console, depending on what you want to achieve will depend on where you go/do.

4) Once I'm logged into the admin account, if I press "log off" or restart the computer I get the "you have been lockedout, please contact your system admin" message. Why is this and how can I fix it? 

I've heard about this, but haven't come across it myself.  This could be down to several reasons, a policy, corrupt of pofile, corruption of system files, etc...  Is it just happening on one machine or every machine that you log off/restart from?

I realize these are total noob questions, I will really appreciate the help though.

Noob questions are those that aren't asked.  In order to do some of the above duties you will need the correct rights.

Good luck with the IT experience :)

-Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:49 AM