Word File size increasing drastically while saving it. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are currently using Word 2016. 

We are receiving the word file in an email and when they are downloaded they are around 8 MB and when they are opened and save AS to another location the file size increases drastically to 42 MB. In most of the cases the file is not even edited. 

In some of the cases the file that is received maybe in in older format so when it opens it shows compatibility view and when saved it is saved in .docx format which is the latest version of word which I believe saves file in a compact format but does not look like it. If the same file is saved in 97-2003 word then the file size reduces to 5MB.

I tried saving the file while having Compatibility option check in or converting directly to .docx version without compatibility option not checking in and in both the cases the file size increases drastically from 8MB to 42MB. Please note that there are no pictures in the file only text. In one of the file the track changes are on but not in other files.

I tried office 365 support but they were not able to help. Ticket # 7364375.

Any help that you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi BkjCnn,

5 MB of Word document seems be very large, if it has no pictures (only text). How many pages are there?
    I suppose if the number of pages is less than 500 or so, it might be corrupted.
    Please try to open it with recovery:
    Word > [File] > [Open] > [Recover unsaved Documents]

> click triangle right side of [Open] >  [Open and repair]

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:30 AM