none
Moving users from hybrid on-premises to Lync Online RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of moving users from our on-premises system (5000+) and it is finally moving at a steady pace but every so often it fails with the error message "request channel timed out increase timeout" error.  For the life of me I cannot find the settings to increase the time out time in any of the many web.config files I found under the Lync\Program Files folder.  Has anyone else had issues with this error?
    Monday, January 20, 2014 8:20 PM

All replies

• Do you move the users in bulk?

Please elaborate the situation when you get the error.

Please also provide more information about the error.

Check the event log on Lync Front End Server to find any useful information.

Lisa Zheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:15 AM
  • Yes we are moving the users in bulk.

We are running the command from within the Lync Online powershell:

Get-Cs-User -Filter {RegistrarPool -eq "ourpoolname"} | Move-CsUser -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $creds -HostedMigrationOverrideURL https://admin0a.online.lync.com/HostedmigrationService.svc -Verbose

We sometimes are moving users at a decent pace but yesterday we had to restart the process more than 10 times because we kept getting the error, 'move cs-user the request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:01:00'.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 5:43 PM
  • I have the same issue, can any one help?
    Monday, September 19, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Likewise, I've found that if I keep retrying it works. I might need to add a powershell loop to work around it.
    Monday, September 30, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Sometimes I get the same issue when I move users in bulk. Retrying is always an option which can work. Make sure your credentials are not used in any other powershell sessions or by any of your colleagues, though. I believe the O365 servers are busy in most of the cases when this happens and that's why it throws this error randomly.
    Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:35 PM