none
IE 11 hates PDF files RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using IE 11 with Win 7 Pro 64 bit. When I read a PDF file online, most of the time IE refuses to go back to the main page of the site. When I press the back button on my keyboard or click the back arrow on IE it just keeps trying to reopen the PDF. Sometimes if I push the back button really fast five or six times it will get away from the PDF but I never know what page it may take me to. This behavior is a PITA. Can someone please tell me how to fix it?

Jay Wells

Sunday, February 16, 2014 7:36 PM

Answers

• Thanks Andy. I have the problem fixed. I just changed my tab settings to open new pages in a separate tab so now I just close the tab containing the PDF and I'm back to where I want to be.

Jay Wells

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What PDF Reader Addon are you using? (Adobe PDF Reader?)....

To avoid confusion include a link to any website you are having problems with your questions.

MSIE browsers use ActiveX to host pdf documents. Usually IE will open a new window/tab to open a PDF document hosted in an ActiveX control....there is no travel log (forward/back)

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.microsoft.com (Help>Online support menu from IE).

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by 暁北Moderator Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:17 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 5:03 AM
  • Thanks Andy. I have the problem fixed. I just changed my tab settings to open new pages in a separate tab so now I just close the tab containing the PDF and I'm back to where I want to be.

Jay Wells

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:34 PM
  • The default action should be Open in a new window ?
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:43 PM
  • Hi I am having same problem, running win& Ultimate 64bit with IE11 64bit mode.

Have tried the above default rese, but still have problem. I am running PDF convertor 8.1 for my PDF  files, but even if I disable it and use adobe acrobat I get the same result.

I have been running IE11 for sometime now and have done a security update for it on the 02/05/2014 KB2964358,

not sure if this is problem.

How do you select open in new tab?

Under tabs the is 3 options under open links from other programs and I have selected New tab but IE11 keeps opening the above link it the same tab and hence I can't use the back buttons etc.

PeterF

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:43 AM
  • How do you select open in new tab?

can't use the back buttons etc.

I use Middle-click.

BTW you can use the Back button in the Toolbar.  It's just keyboard functionality which you can't use because AR redefines so much of it.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 7:05 PM
    Answerer
  • I am having the same problem with this bug and it is getting very very annoying.

Windows 7

IE 11.0.9

Adobe X pro 10.1.10

The fix:

It may be avoided by using a different search engine when looking for .pdf stuff.

The problem:

Seems to happen when clicking the link of a google search result.

open any .pdf web link found on a google search. (not related to downloading), for an example go to google and search this website then click the result.

http://library.csun.edu/egarcia/documents/mlacitation_quickguide.pdf

Once the page is finished loading read if you desire.

Now press the "back to" button with your mouse (if you use one) at the top left or the "backspace" key.

What happens in my IE 11 is that the same page refreshes and I get to read it all over again.  At this point the "Backspace" key does not even work.

Now if I click my "back to" with my mouse or finger and really really fast multiple times it might go back to the previous page or further back.

So this problem is not solved or fixed by using key shortcuts or having the browser open a new tab.

• Proposed as answer by IHAVETO_ATLT Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:00 AM
    • Edited by IHAVETO_ATLT Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:22 AM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:37 AM
  • Now if I click my "back to" with my mouse or finger and really really fast multiple times it might go back to the previous page or further back.

In that scenario you should right-click the Back button or use the View, Go to menu.  If AR takes over Alt-V you would have to use the Mouse for that too.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Proposed as answer by Frankster212 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:35 PM
    Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, Robert. That works perfectly.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:36 PM