Cannot remove Exchange 2003 from old server......MSEXCHHOMESERVERNAME won't change RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dedicated Exchange 2003 server now but at one point Exchange 2003 also use to run on a domain controller.  That software has long been shut down on the domain controller.  All Microsoft Exchange services are disabled on it.  There is just a First Storage Group with a mailbox database and public folder database that are empty. 

I tried to uninstall the software but got an error about Microsoft Exchange Collaboration saying "one or more users" was still using it and that I should move them away somewhere else?  But I don't see anything in the mailbox database. 

I tried to delete it mailbox database and it was telling me it was still in use.

I did a search of my AD and discovered several disabled accounts had the attribute msEXCHANGEHOMESERVERNAME set to point to that domain controller.  One of the accounts is a System Mailbox {GUID} type account that is a Microsoft Exchange System Object.  The other two accounts are simply username accounts.  All three are disabled.

When I tried to use ADSIEdit to clear the msEXCHANGEHOMESERVERNAME attribute, it keeps coming back and repopulating the attribute field.

I guess my only other options are to delete the accounts themselves or use ADSIEdit to delete the domain controller name from the Server container under the Exchange administrative group. 

Is there any reason why I shouldn't delete System Mailbox {GUID} object?  Why does msEXCHANGEHOMESERVERNAME keep coming back after I cleared the field?  Will removing the server from the Server container under Administrative Group using ADSIEdit cause any harm? 

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Removing the Exchange Server in ADSIEdit is not a good way to go. You really should uninstall it properly.
    For those objects that still has this server configured as msExchHomeServerName, run Exchange Tasks in ADUC and choose the option to "Remove Exchange Attributes".

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Banc0 Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Removing the Exchange Server in ADSIEdit is not a good way to go. You really should uninstall it properly.
    For those objects that still has this server configured as msExchHomeServerName, run Exchange Tasks in ADUC and choose the option to "Remove Exchange Attributes".

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Banc0 Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Thanks Martina,

I can certainly try that.  

Regarding the account that is marked "System Mailbox" with a {GUID}.  Do you know where that might have come from?  Because when I checked the email address it said something like "test@mydomain.com"

It looks like it was manually created?  Is this possible?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:43 PM
  • In Exchange 2003, System Attendant has a mailbox called SystemMailbox{GUID}. Can't say why it had the email address test@mydomain.com.

Martina Miskovic

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:57 PM