Hyper-V VSS Writer error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the last few days or so we have been experiencing failed backups. The backup fails at 'Check VSS snapshot and consistency' in BackupAssist 7.4.5 software. Below is the error message:

The backup operation stopped before completing.
    Detailed error: ERROR - A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error has occurred: (0x80042336)
    The writer experienced a partial failure. Check the component level error state for more information.
    A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information.
    ERROR - A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation error has occurred: (0x80042336)
    The writer experienced a partial failure. Check the component level error state for more information.

We are running a HYPER-V 2008 R2 Server with two virtual machines - SBS 2011 Standard and Server 2008 R2.

I ran 'VSSADMIN list writer' in a command window on the host machine (HYPER-V Server 2008 R2) and there was an error:

Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer'
    Writer Id: {66841cd4-6ded-4f4b-8f17-fd23f8ddc3de}
    Writer Instance Id: {3cd8204b-5f3a-4e5b-b7e8-b605c26ad538}
    State: [5] Waiting for completion
    Last error: Unexpected error

Using Windows Backup on the Hyper-V server also generates the same error message.

We would be grateful for any advice.

Regards,
    Mark

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just in case someone else stumbles upon this problem, this is the link that I used to solve the Hyper-V VSS writer problem:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx

About the time that the backup started to fail there were Sharepoint errors in the SBS 2011 event log which indicated where the problem originated.

Hope this may be of use.

Mark
    • Marked as answer by bookhampc Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Is there any special software was installed on the VMs  recently ?

Also please backup a single VM to see which one caused the issue .

If you installed SQL in the issue VM , please try to stop  " sql server vss writer service " then backup again .

Best Regards

Elton Ji

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:53 AM
  • Hi Elton,

Thank you for your response.

No special software was installed on the VMs recently, although I did upgrade the Trend Micro WFBS anti-virus from version 7 to 8 on the SBS 2011 VM a couple of weeks ago.

The only other software I have installed is Seagate NAS software on the Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V server. In any event, it didn't accept the software as it is not compatible with server operating systems.

The backup starts with backing up the SBS 2011 VM and this is when it fails:

Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
    Failed to create the backup of virtual machine 'SBS 2011'. (Virtual machine ID 75FEE6A0-9ABC-4922-A1E0-3BB185479438)

I will try out your suggestions.

Regards,

Mark

Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Just in case someone else stumbles upon this problem, this is the link that I used to solve the Hyper-V VSS writer problem:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/05/24/you-must-manually-run-psconfig-after-installing-sharepoint-2010-patches.aspx

About the time that the backup started to fail there were Sharepoint errors in the SBS 2011 event log which indicated where the problem originated.

Hope this may be of use.

Mark
    • Marked as answer by bookhampc Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:25 AM