March .NET updates KB4489488 and KB4489486 RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS says my clients and servers need either KB4489488 and KB4489486 (.NET), depending on the OS. WSUS lists these as "Updates". However, if I go straight to Microsoft Update it says I don't need it, it isn't listed as an option update either. I am struggling to figure Microsoft out. I can't tell if this is a WSUS issue (don't think so).

Jason

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Analyze what you are experiencing, and these may be the cause:

1. Either the computer has not recently reported its actual status to the WSUS Server, thus the information on the WSUS server is out of date.
    2. Multiple systems have the same SusClientID and you're actually looking at data for a different computer.
    3. Also, note that WSUS contains superseded updates which can be reported as Needed if the newest update is not yet installed. WU/MU does not contain superseded updates, so will naturally have a shorter list in any condition.

In summary, if a customer has reported to the WSUS server within the past 24 hours, then you can trust the WSUS server. WSUS prompts for "needs" updates, you approve them, and when they are available to the client (and can be installed), the client will download them and schedule them for installation.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 4:47 AM
  • Hello Yic.

1) All of my clients and servers report daily (Contact and Report)

2) The 2 March updates I mention do not supersede any update(s) and they are not superseded by another

These are listed as "Updates" in the WSUS Classification, not "Security Updates" like the usual "Security and Quality Rollup for .NET..." updates. Thus the confusion. There isn't even a March "Security and Quality Rollup for .NET..." update. It seems like there should be since there is this March .NET "Update".

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 2:33 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for your response. 
    Since I don't have a clear understanding of how you check for updates via Microsoft Update, it's hard to determine why. Or you can tell you the steps to perform the check.

As far as I know, Windows Update only updates the Windows operating system itself. Microsoft Update includes all the projects covered by Windows Update and other Microsoft products such as Office, SQL, and Exchange. To use Microsoft Update, you may need to enable the settings for "Get updates for other Microsoft products" in the operating system's update settings.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 5:46 AM
  • First, thank you for taking the time to respond....I really appreciate it!

I use WSUS to push out updates to my clients and servers. I logged onto several of my clients and servers this month, went to the Windows Update applet in the Control Panel and clicked on the "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update" just to see if Microsoft Update would indicate that my systems needed the same amount of updates as WSUS does. That is when I noticed that Microsoft Update says my systems don't need KB4489488 and KB4489486 and yet WSUS says I do. These 2 updates are just an example, there are others.

I am trying to understand the logic, it doesn't make sense to me.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi

Think I'm seeing the exact same thing. WSUS reports my win2012R2 servers need KB4489488 but when I run windows update on the server it does not come up, as needed or optional. 

Interestingly if search for KB4489488 on Microsoft it comes up with a KB article which has no download and only refers to three other KB articles. I tracked down the relevant one for our servers, turned out to be KB4488667, downloaded and installed the stand alone version from the microsoft update catalogue on a test server. It installed ok, didn't say already installed or not needed. Rebooted and then did a wuauclt.exe /detectnow /reportnow. WSUS server reported with new connect and report time but still said I needed KB4489488

I think it's either a WSUS glitch, or a KB glitch. Will wait to see if it resolves with the April updates that will be out soon.

Good luck

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:40 AM
  • Same issue after the April release. Do you have any ideas?
    Friday, April 19, 2019 4:26 PM
  • Hi again,

yep, the april releases did not resolve the issue.

I went back and re-looked at the KB4489488 article which splits off to 3 other KB articles. There's separate updates for .net 3.5 (KB4488663) .net 4.5.2 (KB4488667), and another for .net 4.6+ (KB4488665).  I downloaded all 3 stand alone installers from the update catalog and found I needed to install all 3 to resolve the issue. Ran the wuauclt.exe /detectnow /reportnow after installing all 3 and the KB4489488 has swapped from needed to installed in WSUS.

Hope this helps

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:47 AM