none
DPM 2010 Agent issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of DPM agent issues.

First I have 2 client PC's that used to be protected by an old server that is no longer available. In the past when I had this I would use the setdpmserver command to point it to the new server and then on the DPM server go tot he agents tab and attach the agents but now when I try it on either of these servers I get an error message saying a protection agent is already installed. So I connected to one of the computers and in add/remove programs uninstalled the dpm agent and tried to reinstall it from the dpm server rather than attach and I get the same error. Any idea why I cant attach this agent?

Second Issue I have is that I have a server that died that was previously protected by DPM that we do not plan on using anymore. I removed it from the protection group but it still shows up in the agents tab under unprotected computers with protection agent. How do I perminently remove it from the list? When I try to uninstall it I get a failure because it cant communicate with the server and I dont see any other option to get rid of the agent.

Thanks for any help given.

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:51 AM Moving to DPM Agent Mgmt Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Great about 1.  
    For 2. - please specify FQDN for PS.

Also is this DPM 2010 RTM ?  (IE: build 3.0.7696.0) - I know we had a bug in RC that was fixed in RTM to address this issue.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 3, 2010 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1)  Try installing using the disconnected manual method. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399459.aspx - then on the DPM server run DPM powershell command: Attach-ProductionServer.ps1

2) Use the new dpm 2010 power shell script command: Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Hi

1. Regarding why your not able to attatch the agent seems like you alreafy have the binaries installed, if you run DPM 2007 verify that you have the samt versions regarding your DPM server and installed agents. Use the "setdpmserver -dpmservername" CMDLET from an elevated command prompt to configure witch DPM server the agent should communicate with. From the DPM powershell use the ps1 script  Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 that Mike mentioned obove.

2)        If you shoudn't use the DPM to protect the mentioned workload you could also stop the protection in the console and let the DPM server "clean" the record for the agent. After stoping the protection go to the agents tab mark the agent you want to remove. If the binaries is missing on the server the DPM server will prompt you to remove the record after trying to connect.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Friday, September 3, 2010 6:17 AM
  • The attach-productionserver.ps1 command worked for issue 1. Thank you very much! But the remove-productionserver.ps1 command is still not removing the dead server. It looks like its still trying to communicate with the dead server and it will never be able to since that server no longer exists. Any ideas? Here is what I get when I run the command.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> remove-productionserver.ps1
    DPMServer:: sicm-bs3
    PSName:: sicm-bs4
    There is failure while removing production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 : DPM was un
    able to remove the protected computer sicm-bs4.
    At line:1 char:28
    + remove-productionserver.ps1 <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
       n,Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Make sure that the protected computer is attached to the DPM server. If the prot
    ected computer is in the Active directory domain, make sure that you have provid
    ed the correct fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the protected computer. If
    sicm-bs4 is a workgroup computer configured to use NETBIOS, specify the NETBIOS
    name. Otherwise specify the DNS name of the workgroup computer.
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Friday, September 3, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi,

Great about 1.  
    For 2. - please specify FQDN for PS.

Also is this DPM 2010 RTM ?  (IE: build 3.0.7696.0) - I know we had a bug in RC that was fixed in RTM to address this issue.

Friday, September 3, 2010 3:53 PM
  • That fixed it.

thanks for the help. I am using build 3.07696.0 by the way.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I got this error, I still can't remove it.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> .\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1
    DPMServer:: SERVDPM01
    PSName:: TOMNJERRY\COMPFIL01
    There is failure while removing production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 : DPM was unable to remove the protected computer TOMNJERRY\COMPFIL01.
    At line:1 char:30
    + .\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Make sure that the protected computer is attached to the DPM server. If the protected computer is in the Active directory domain, make sure that you h
    ave provided the correct fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the protected computer. If TOMNJERRY\COMPFIL01 is a workgroup computer configure
    d to use NETBIOS, specify the NETBIOS name. Otherwise specify the DNS name of the workgroup computer.
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Hi Oneoa,

Please open a new thread, it will speed up the process of you getting answer to your question =)

PS. Did you use the FQDN?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Hi Oneoa,

Please open a new thread, it will speed up the process of you getting answer to your question =)

PS. Did you use the FQDN?

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

The question still related to this thread.

But, yes I'm using FQDN, however I managed to remove it until a month after old server was removed from AD.

DPM 2010 with latest roll-up (KB2250444) | DELL Server R710 (Windows 2008 R2 SP1) RAM: 24GB PF: 36-60GB | DELL TL2000 (2 Drives) | And still struggling and monitoring... :(

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:27 AM