none
PowerShell is the New Java RRS feed

• Question

• So when is Microsoft going to get serious again about supporting the small/medium business IT professional?

It seems that Microsoft is targeting the large enterprises with the next version of PowerShell and Windows Servers.  I think it is great that they are creating tools which make it easier to manage hundreds of identically configured servers, and make global changes that affects thousands of accounts.

However, that is not my situation.  We have over 150 servers - running a variety of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008.  I support a variety of applications for accounting, billing, OB, Cancer Center, lab, fundraising - all on different servers.  I am also responsible for backups, e-mail, SAN support, HIPAA resporting, and helping to back up the Help Desk when some of their personnel are out.  I simply do not have the time to learn a CLI. 

I still remember moving from Novell to Windows NT servers and how great it was to learn to use tools that could run on servers or workstations.  I remember moving from Microsoft Mail and Groupwise to Exchange 5.5 and later Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003.

We held off upgrading to Exchange 2007 because there was very little benefit to our users.  We only upgraded to Exchange 2010 because our Exchange 2003 environment was getting slower as mailboxes got larger and we added more users.

Running the Exchange Management Console reminds me of running Java type management tools.  It is slow to load and has the basic configuration stuff there.  Trying to figure out Role Based Access Control is a pain in the butt.  I thought I finally figured it and it broke some other work I had done on modifying commands that are displayed for the account I use.

I am not asking Microsoft to give up PowerShell.  I am asking Microsoft to consider providing better tools for the small/medium business IT personnel who wear a variety of hats all day long.  Fat, GUI, well-written tools can help to make us excited about supporting Microsoft products again instead of dreading reading through a mound of material trying to find out how to do something that seemed pretty obvious in Exchange System Manager.

Just my two cents.

Dan J

Thursday, November 3, 2011 1:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I will forward your comments to our feedback team. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team will take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases. Many features of current programs were designed and upgraded based on customer feedback. We strive to capture any and all product issues or product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs.

Thanks,

Simon

• Marked as answer by DaWaJa Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:22 PM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 4:44 PM