none
Win7 upgrade IE8 to IE11 then cannot download some files. RRS feed

• Question

• This is a internal Website, has two AP server.
    production server : Windows Server 2008 + IIS 7.5
    test server : Windows Server 2008 standard + IIS 7
    both use .aspx and ,aspx.vb, and all applications are same version, use Excel file to be report template.

When I use Win7 + IE8 (or Firefox, Chrome) on both Website to generate report, all can download or open. when I upgrade to IE11, some step to generate report, but some report can not be download, only on production server, on test server, every report all can download.

1. when finish generate report, on bottom will show a status bar, and have three button [Open] [Save] [Cancel]
    2. Click Open or Save, status bar will show can't download and button change to [Retry] [Cancel] [View Download]
    3. Click Retry, file can be download, but content was wrong, all will be replace by Web Page.

I try to do this on another PC, same result.
    Is application need to modify? or change IIS setting? or need do anything?

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Assuming that you are testing from a Win7 client version (and not from a server console)..

see

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, uncheck "Do not save encrypted files to disk".

If the reports are in PDF format you may also need to update your PDF Viewer application (Adobe PDF Reader?), but you can also check if the currently installed version is enabled in the IE Addons Manager....

Tools>Manage Addons>Show all Addons......

locate your PDF viewer addon (Adobe PDF Reader and PDF Link helper BHO..... etc) and ensure that they are enabled.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:54 PM
  • sorry! maybe is not so clear, yes, I use Win7 client to connect two Website.

report format is Excel, I think did not encrypted, because on test site, can download, but on production site, some report can not be download.

and "Do not save encrypted files to disk" is uncheck.

does any possible not only IE11 setting problem? also need to adjust IIS and application?

Thanks!

Can

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:09 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, I want to confirm that does the issue occur while downloading other files?

We may try compatibility view to check the result.

If the problem still persists, we could capture the process events to see details.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:46 AM
  • For now, only one website has this problem, other website seem ok.

I'm curious, why this problem occur on production site, test site no has these problem, and two site application is same.

On production site not all downloading file will failure, only on two or three files, I has compare application on each site how to create these report, the code all same.

How to capture process events?

Thanks

Can

• Edited by 潛水夫 Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:55 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:45 AM
  • We could try process monitor to perform the task. You could download the tool from this website.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 3:45 AM
  • Hi! Tony, I try this software and capture some information, but I don't know how to analysis these data, could you can help me? give me some point?

-------------------------------- update --------------------------------

I found some information, when I click donwload to start download file, in "Temporary Internet Files" directory will create a partial file, the Result show "BUFFER OVERFLOW", why same task, use IE8 is fine, use IE11 goes wrong?

• Edited by 潛水夫 Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:31 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

I found an article may help you. Please refer to the link:

Process Monitor logs analysis:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kenliu/2007/09/12/process-monitor-logs-analysis/

Best Regards,

Tao

Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:03 AM