Windows 7: Sudden, permanent loss of text for all buttons, menu, window explorer, etc RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I used my new laptop, bought from a OEM for about a year without any problem.  However, I encountered a major problem 2 days ago.   As below:

The Windows 7 OS booted up successfully as usual.  But I noticed all "TEXT" are gone, only empty icon, buttons on the UIs! 

Example including username are blank, Shutdown icon only display blank menu item when right click (ie. no restart, hibernate, shutdown text).

When I managed to login by guessing the icon associated with the account name,  I noticed the entire desktop has the same problem.  All text are missing from the desktop, only icons for windows shortcut, etc.

I clicked the Start Menu,  Nothing appeared.  No menu appeared.  I cannot even go control panel.

I tried Window explorer, regedit.  Also same problem, this time is only blank icons, meaning there is no graphical icon and text. 

All the UI buttons, text are gone.

only command prompt works.

I guessed the english locale database for english text might be corrupted.  I tried restore major windows file and patches using the OEM recovery solution, but to no avail.

I do not want to reformat, as it should be the last resort.  Any service pack or hotfix I can apply?

What exactly happened?  My Windows 7 is alway patched to microsoft latest patches through internet.  I also have Trend Mico Maximum security installed.

Thanks for any kind assistance in advance.

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:14 AM

Answers

• Hi!

I'm not sure what has happened here, when it happened to me, it was my graphicscard that was running hot and later on died...
    Have you tried to restore your computer to an earlier state?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Best regards
    Andreas Molin

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Monday, November 5, 2012 1:56 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the issue occur under the Safe mode. If the issue would not persist, then a clean boot is need. It  helps in eliminating software conflicts. 

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

The same problem also occurred safe mode.  Anyway, I restored to Win 7 and upgraded to Win 8.

Hopefully, I will never see this problem in Win 8.

Thanks. Regards.

• Marked as answer by KingofKong Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi!

I'm not sure what has happened here, when it happened to me, it was my graphicscard that was running hot and later on died...
    Have you tried to restore your computer to an earlier state?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Best regards
    Andreas Molin

Monday, October 29, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the issue occur under the Safe mode. If the issue would not persist, then a clean boot is need. It  helps in eliminating software conflicts. 

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

The same problem also occurred safe mode.  Anyway, I restored to Win 7 and upgraded to Win 8.

Hopefully, I will never see this problem in Win 8.

Thanks. Regards.

• Marked as answer by KingofKong Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:06 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:06 AM