none
DNS Suddenly Stop Resolving on server and clients RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer with a SBS 2011 Standard Edition that they ended up using with Computers in a Workgroup Setup.

They did not want to have the Domain Configured.

Anyways,  the issue is that 24 hours ago, the SBS Server stopped going out to the internet and the computers are not able to go out to the internet. 

I checked the DNS Server and ran nslookup.  The DNS Server times out.   Sometimes, it shows the IPv6 as the server name and also ran the Fix My Network.  This gives me an error that reads : The DNS Server is not listening to the IP address of the primary adapter.  I went and look at the configuration of the DNS Server and checked only the IPv4 IP address.  Then checked the forwarders and it is empty and the root servers are looking normal. 

I have ran the winsock reset on the server and does not resolve the issue.  Ran the Fix My Network several times , the certificates were renewed but this did not resolve the issue. Restarted the server after running fix my network and nothing several times when the DNS Server message came up with not listening to the Primary Nic.  Fixed it and restarted the Server .   The IP configuration of the server is static and the DNS is itself. 

The server has two NICs but one has been disabled for years. 

The router is using as forwarders the google DNS Servers.

I have spent a lot of time trying to resolve this situation and find that I am not even close to resolve it.  Can someone that may have had this issue guide me on the resolution path?

Need help to resolve this issue

JFM

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:24 PM

All replies

• hi,
    I am researching your issue ,thanks for your waiting.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, June 22, 2019 1:22 AM
  • hi,
    1 Have you unchecked "internet protocal version 6(TCP/IPV6)" in network properties on SBS2011?
    2 Have you set preferred dns server to ip address of SBS2011 on SBS2011 ?
      Have you set alternate dns server to isp address on SBS2011 ?
    3 If there is one pc in the same local subnet of SBS2011 ,will this pc can not DNS retrieve and can not access internet website ?
    4 If the SBS2011 disable network adapter ,will other pc in the same subnet be able to access internet website by using external DNS  ?  

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 3:42 AM
  • hi,
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Just to thank you guys and to answer the different posts. 

I did check and unchecked the IPv6 

Set Preferred DNS servers. Removed the root servers, applied forwarders.

Restarted the dns server and client services

The other PCs do not access the internet no matter what I have done.  The customer decided it was time to upgrade to Windows 2019 Essentials and so we moved forward. 
    They are in the internet and they are happy with Windows 2019 Essentials.  Back in business.

Thanks for all the posts and enjoy the holiday weekend!

Friday, July 5, 2019 11:39 AM