Vista Home Premium - WPD FileSystem Volume Driver (code 18) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I'm having experimenting an error similar to the "Yellow Exclamation, code 10" reported many times here int his forum.

But its a little bit tricky.

When I plug a Memory Card (anyone: SD, MemoryStick ....) in my CardReader, Windows don't mount it as a storage device with a drive letter. It shows an error, saying there is no driver installed for it. The same happens if I plug my Camera through an USB cable.

At the device manager I have the yellow exclamation near "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver". Looking on WPD properties, the status is: "Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)".

Of course I just can't reinstall the driver. when I try so, windows came with this: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attenpting to install it."

I just can't assign a letter to the device, it appears on the Computer Management but its impossible to assign a letter.

I've tried a lot of "Windows Solutions", but .... still nothing !

I've updated the card reader driver (Texas Instrument PCIxx12 Integrated Flash Media Controller).

When I plug the Memory Card in the reader, on device manager I see the "MemoryStick Pro" under Disk Drives and under portable devices appears the WPD with the yellow exclamation.

Looks like the system recognizes the device, but cannot mount it as a storage device.

The tricky part is, when I plug a USB PenDrive it works just fine! And it uses the very same WPD driver to mount it as a storage device unit.

The card reader uses to work until a few weeks ago. I think it stopped working when the system performed some automatic updates from the manufacturer (Toshiba) website.

My system is: Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757 running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Any help will be really aprecciated.

Thanks in advance !

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:43 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing.

Based on my experience, this issue can be caused by corrupt INF files. At this time, let’s troubleshoot this issue by copying these files from another computer.

1.Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.Reboot the computer and connect the USB mass storage device and Check if it gets detected and works fine.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 25, 2008 10:36 AM

All replies

•  Marcio Jr. wrote:

Hi everybody,

I'm having experimenting an error similar to the "Yellow Exclamation, code 10" reported many times here int his forum.

But its a little bit tricky.

When I plug a Memory Card (anyone: SD, MemoryStick ....) in my CardReader, Windows don't mount it as a storage device with a drive letter. It shows an error, saying there is no driver installed for it. The same happens if I plug my Camera through an USB cable.

At the device manager I have the yellow exclamation near "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver". Looking on WPD properties, the status is: "Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)".

Of course I just can't reinstall the driver. when I try so, windows came with this: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attenpting to install it."

I just can't assign a letter to the device, it appears on the Computer Management but its impossible to assign a letter.

I've tried a lot of "Windows Solutions", but .... still nothing !

I've updated the card reader driver (Texas Instrument PCIxx12 Integrated Flash Media Controller).

When I plug the Memory Card in the reader, on device manager I see the "MemoryStick Pro" under Disk Drives and under portable devices appears the WPD with the yellow exclamation.

Looks like the system recognizes the device, but cannot mount it as a storage device.

The tricky part is, when I plug a USB PenDrive it works just fine! And it uses the very same WPD driver to mount it as a storage device unit.

The card reader uses to work until a few weeks ago. I think it stopped working when the system performed some automatic updates from the manufacturer (Toshiba) website.

My system is: Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757 running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Any help will be really aprecciated.

Thanks in advance !

Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:21 AM
  •  

Hi,

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows you to treat your CF and SD cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing.

Based on my experience, this issue can be caused by corrupt INF files. At this time, let’s troubleshoot this issue by copying these files from another computer.

1.Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.Reboot the computer and connect the USB mass storage device and Check if it gets detected and works fine.

Hope it helps.

Monday, August 25, 2008 10:36 AM