Are there known problems with hibernating on wireless at home and resumining /powering on the LAN at office RRS feed

• Question

• I would appreciate some help.

Does Microsoft recommend or are there any know problem with the use of hibernation in the o senario ?

A company laptop is being used. Vista 32 Bit Enterprise

It then powered up at the users home. As teh laptops loads windows - it resumes a windows session from a hibernated session they used in the office. The laptop had been used at the office on a LAN nic and powered down using hibernate

So - windows resumed and the opened files the user had been using in the office are still there.  Then via a home wireless network ADSL they connect and launch a company VPN via the wireless nic.

·         The user then finishes work, saves files but leaves the files open.  They disconnect their company VPN and again hibernates the laptop.

·         They then travel back to the office. Power on the laptop on. This time it's now back on the office LAN.  It resumes from hibernation and they again start to use the same open MS Office files.

I can foresee probs E.G  stored DNS cache entries point to servers which are possibly no longer available etc, the NIC has now changed wireless timing out etc  The laptop is then slow using the apps say word and excel.  Myself I imagine that is quite possible in that these apps look for templates, servers and now time out and hang. Eventually after some time may resume getting a connection via the LAN.

Can anyone point me at a MS document with recommendations ?

Spider MacK

• Edited by SpiderMacK Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:19 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply. If you want to use offline file feature, you need to make the related file available offline.  If you access the file which is not available offline, the client is not able to cache the file. For example, firstly you access the file in the office. If you disconnect the network and take it back to the home. The network will be broken so that the access to the file is also broken. So if you would like to access a file without broken, you need to make the file available offline and use the offline files feature to cache the file.

Hoping the information could help you.

Best Regards

Scott Xie

• Proposed as answer by Scott Xi - MSFT Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by SpiderMacK Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:12 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 5:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

For your requirement, I suggest that you can use the Offline Files and Synchronization function in windows. Using the function, the client could cache the shared file to its local cache when it disconnects to the file server. It could continue to modify the file with offline mode. When it connects to the file server again, it will synchronize the file back to the file server and continue to modify the file online mode.

I attach an aritcle for your reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/zh-cn/library/cc782388(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Friday, November 18, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your reply. We  use synch center & offline files for the document folder and that works OK (albeit slow link detection isnt great)

I'm thinking that probs - slowness/hanging of apps maybe relate to teh change of network adapter to access files on servers which are not availabel offline

I will explain - this laptop when at the office (and at home via a company VPN) can connect to shared folders on servers which are not available offline.

I'm wondering if problems may be stem from the change of network adapter / IP address etc to connect to files which are not available offline.

For example one may be connect to a server + files via a wireless NIC at home on a VPN. Then hibernate and resume/power up now on a office lan and then connect to the same server. So a different NIC (+ associated IP address is now being used)

Is there is any documentation which MS have that indcates a change of network adapter or IP address may cause problems when using hibernation in conjunction with accessing files on servers which are not available via offline files ?

Spider MacK
    • Edited by SpiderMacK Friday, November 18, 2011 10:55 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. If you want to use offline file feature, you need to make the related file available offline.  If you access the file which is not available offline, the client is not able to cache the file. For example, firstly you access the file in the office. If you disconnect the network and take it back to the home. The network will be broken so that the access to the file is also broken. So if you would like to access a file without broken, you need to make the file available offline and use the offline files feature to cache the file.

Hoping the information could help you.

Best Regards

Scott Xie

• Proposed as answer by Scott Xi - MSFT Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by SpiderMacK Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:12 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hi thanks for all your help. Yeah I think most of the problemstems from the fact the person using the laptop has files open from a network drive then breaks the link. Also I am now advising them to ensure they disconnect their VP before hibernating. Also to disconnect the WIFI connection so that windows doesnt have any problems resuming on a different LAN connection. So in short

• Ensure any open files which are no avialable offline are closed prior to hibernation. This saves the laptop opening witgh files which havce lost their link/connection to where they were opened from.
    • Ensure the company VPN is disconnected correctly before hibernation.
    • Disconnect WIFI connection before hibernation. Do that no problems are encountered resuming on a LAN connection.

Spider MacK
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:12 PM